American Eagles Modding Forums

Hi! You are currently viewing forum as a guest. For more features please login or register!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Forum Stats

Latest Member

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

October 17, 2019, 04:50:28 PM

Author Topic: Farming Simulator Modding For Dummies  (Read 4457 times)

Offline craig82c (OP)

Farming Simulator Modding For Dummies
« on: August 20, 2014, 11:33:09 PM »
So like every one I want to learn how to start creating a mod as there is lots of great models out there that no one has done.  So I am curious what the current experienced modders think of the idea of this book "Farming Simulator Modding For Dummies " will help us inexperienced?

Offline kramarj

Re: Farming Simulator Modding For Dummies
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 06:52:57 AM »
IMO, that book will be a waste of paper for the most part.

Why? Because everything you need to know to get started is already out there, but nobody wants to find it and/or want to learn how to do it. I mean isn't it kind of strange that there are already mods out there without this book? If the inexperienced modder wanted to learn to mod, they would had done it already.

Just sayin'.....

Offline spotremix

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 11:45:01 AM »
i think that book will be worth more than you realize or think. i'm one of those who plan on getting it, why? because there are PLENTY of questions i have even after reading everything on these forums. but more than half the time even after reading whats on the forums, i ask my questions only to be ignored or told to read the tut (when i already did).

so for me since i'm not getting my questions about modding answered on these forums, i'm gonna buy the book and hope those answers are on here.

Offline JDboy1663

• lil' tessfarms
  • Blue smoke and 2 strokes... Thats how I roll
    • Everythingaboutfarming.freeforums.org
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »
I am kind of curious in how good the information will be in this book. They need a free online version that only has like one page, than people can see if its worth buying, or if information on the websites are better. I would like to thumb through one just to see. IMO it could be very helpful for starters, than use the forums to progress.

Thats my $0.02

As long as you know the clutch is on the left, your heads straight, and your proud of who you are, you're doing pretty darn good.

Offline JohnDeere1952

• Global Moderator
  • ScreaminEagle
  • Search the Book of the Lord . . . Isaiah 34:16 (
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »
From reading the description on Barnes and Noble it looks cover a lot of different points I have not found in the tutorials. And the fact that Christian Amman from Giants had a hand in it says to me that the scripting and xml will be the same as Giants use. I guess when it comes right down to it is how comfortable you (each individual)are with modding. I will probably buy the book myself and hopefully learn to do simple farm implements and script  and ingame them.

Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Psalm 27:14

Offline craig82c (OP)

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 12:19:19 PM »
I am kind of curious in how good the information will be in this book. They need a free online version that only has like one page, than people can see if its worth buying, or if information on the websites are better. I would like to thumb through one just to see. IMO it could be very helpful for starters, than use the forums to progress.

Thats my $0.02

I agree.  There is something to be said to old school looking through a book while in a program so it could be a big help or a big waste of space.

Offline JohnDeere1952

• Global Moderator
  • ScreaminEagle
  • Search the Book of the Lord . . . Isaiah 34:16 (
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 12:22:08 PM »
I agree.  There is something to be said to old school looking through a book while in a program so it could be a big help or a big waste of space.
Yes to me it is easier to be looking at what I am trying to learn instead of switching back and forth on my comp. Bottom line is do you need it and can you spare the cost. I have found that the books for dummies are an overall good thing.

Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Psalm 27:14

Offline johndeere 4255

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 12:26:28 PM »
Go for it. You wont be losing anything by getting the book. Not only will it be helpful, but it will be a quick and easy reference point for future use. Now I doubt you will be able to create a model and script it when you get done with the book, but it will be a very strong foundation for you to build upon. After you master the book, then you can move on to tuts on how to model, there's a good one for blender, you start by creating a football. It's basic but gives you very good insight on the basics of blender.

Good luck to you! I'm sure you'll be making mods in no time.  ;)

If anybody is interested here is the link to the football tut using Blender:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwpwzHPtqMc

1 Corinthians 2:2: For I determined to know nothing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified....we preach Christ crucified....AMEN!

Offline spotremix

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 01:09:05 PM »
what johndeere said is pretty much what i'm hoping for with this book. see part of my problem is i don't really know step 1. i have no clue where to start. now i have managed to edit a few mods, simply changing of colors but thats where it stops for me. i'm hoping this book will help me better understand what i'm reading in the tut's. because i read a tut now and i get lost.

in the end what i'm most concerned with being able to do is edit existing mods. like for example if i happen to find a tractor, truck or whatever i like. maybe i think it needs turn signals or needs to be washable.

i have found some great mods and i realize they can't everything but perhaps i could learn and take the time to add what i want on an already great mod.

Offline JimmytheGeek

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 02:06:47 PM »
As the IT Guy for a library system who more often than not has to perform librarian duties, I'm going to put on my librarian hat weigh in.

For folks who are building their mods from scratch, this book won't be of much use, other than for a little-used reference book. The Dummies books, in general, are meant to be a solid entry into learning whatever subject they cover, and so are pretty valuable to those who have no experience whatsoever. This book should give some great insight into how the scripting works with the XML files, how the Giants Editor works and other details of modding that most folks don't know. Maybe someone has just recently picked up the game and wants to learn (I didn't start poking around until earlier this year), and this book will help them keep information close at hand, without having to wonder on which site they saw that tutorial on how to change the color of a mod.

Personally, I'd never touch a Dummies book for any of the IT work I do, because these books are way too basic and are written for absolute beginners. But, since I'm so new to the modding, I'd consider it simply for the instruction in the Giants Editor and (assuming) the basic Lua scripting.
A descendant of farmers, I'm the entire IT department for a small, rural-town library.

Offline spotremix

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 07:34:55 AM »
i'm hoping it will teach me enough i can at least edit mods or help me to learn enough that i can either find answers to my questions easier in a search or asking by being able to form a more "educated" question. i know i complain that i don't always get answers when i ask questions but i suspect some of that might be because my questions could be too "general".

Offline Xentro

• Regular
    • xentro.se
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 03:59:47 AM »
You can always start with the free one to get an taste what might be in the book
http://gdn.giants-software.com/videoTutorials.php