American Eagles Modding Forums

Hi! You are currently viewing forum as a guest. For more features please login or register!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Forum Stats

Latest Member

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

March 19, 2019, 03:50:47 AM

Author Topic: Removing i3d files from models  (Read 1351 times)

Offline mrnascar (OP)

Removing i3d files from models
« on: August 26, 2014, 05:48:05 PM »
I'm working on a map that i may submit for release here, once I get the permissions sorted out for some of the buildings. (got the ok to mod the map itself some time ago...) For now its my personal map.

I've noticed in maps i've downloaded to see how things are done, (MAFM, Central Kansas, etc) that when you open the folders in for example the "map/models/buildings/" file, that the i3d and SHAPEs files are not present.  (I've learned how to "reverse-engineer", and generate the missing i3d's for items of interest)

Once you've finalized a building or object placement in the map i3d, can you then just delete them from their folder, or is there a specific procedure to follow? I have about two dozen sell points and nonfunctional items i've edited and incorporated (Moosehead beer, Tim Hortons, and such...) and the compressed file is huge. Being able to remove those from their folders would really trim the size down, I expect.

thanks in advance for any advice! (would be nice to get it out before FS15 steals the show!)

Offline kramarj

Re: Removing i3d files from models
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 05:56:00 PM »
You can just delete the I3D/shapes files, once they are in the map, they have no use. However, you MUST keep the textures for the objects, other wise the objects have no textures. And you are right, by deleting the I3D/shapes files, the overall file size will decrease.

Offline mrnascar (OP)

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 07:20:56 PM »
Thank you!

And I understand about the texture files, i've messed those paths up enough over the past few months!

Offline hintzconst

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:32:34 PM »
an easy way to clean up the map folders is to use the export all function, this will export all the files in use by the map.  Please note it will not export particle system.i3ds, xml files not tied into the map and lua files.  This is by far the quickest and easiest way to cleanup your map.
You Can't Fix Stupid But, I'm Not Above Numbing It With A 2x4