American Eagles Modding Forums

Hi! You are currently viewing forum as a guest. For more features please login or register!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Forum Stats

Latest Member

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

October 17, 2019, 04:55:18 PM

Author Topic: MR or non-MR  (Read 7630 times)

Offline tessfarms (OP)

• 500+
  • Respect For Modders!
MR or non-MR
« on: March 27, 2014, 05:17:05 AM »
I was going to start a poll, but could not find that option..Maybe one of the admins could be so kind to do so.
I am curious to see who feels what about this MR stuff.
1) love it
2) don't like it
3) never tried it

I myself never even downloaded it.  It seems like alot of extra aggregation.
Never criticize a farmer with your mouth full!

Offline iB055

Re: MR or non-MR
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 05:24:25 AM »
This may actually be a good idea. It would give mod makers more of an idea of what type of mods the members of this forum are looking for. It would be nice to see this as a real poll.

As for me, my vote would be 1) love it

Offline J_Kyle01

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 05:59:20 AM »
I downloaded it with the intent to try it but never have. After seeing so many having issues with it I decided I would just stick with the way the game came. Then the lack of mods that fit what I like and what's used in my area is another reason. Tractors seem easy enough to convert to mr and tractordata will generally supply all needed info to convert one. Implements on the other hand seem to be an issue. There is no place to get exacts weights and due to different soil types in different parts of the world it's hard to pin point how hard said implement should pull in game. IE a tractor with around 130 hp at the drawbar can pull a 20 foot disk well here where I'm from. We pulled our 20 foot 490s with stock 1486's. They pulled them fine but I wouldn't throw a 24 footer behind them. In some places with lighter soil you may be able to pull a 24 footer and places with heavier soil you may not be able to even pull a 20 footer. So it's a lot more variance to what can pull an implement and what is realistic for me may not be for you and where your from. Anybody with some farm knowledge or experience will know what's feasible and what would actually work, so you don't necessarily need mr to play in a realistic manner. Though I do appreciate the fact you couldn't throw a farmall 560 on a 42 foot field cultivator and it actually move with mr. From what I can tell the only things mr offers that I would like over the vanilla game is the functioning transmission and throttle and the bale handling. I don't do much bale handling Anyway  so spending the time to convert all the mods I use isn't worth the features it offers that I like. So to answer the poll

3) Never tried it

and don't intend to.

Offline 2004duramax

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 06:17:36 AM »
1) Love it
I like the realistic feel it adds to the game. Once you get used to it you just start doing things out of habit, that at first were a pain. Only down fall I have with it is that there isn't really any American style maps yet that are MR. But I'm sure with time that will change.

Offline nomadjc

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 06:34:34 AM »
I am a fan of the MR.  It makes the vehicles more stable and it does add realism to the game...i.e. grain won't always be higher in one place... like barley will always go to the mill because they are paying the highest price.  It might go to the mill one day and to the depot another day.  One down side is that the vehicles often seem underpowered in that if they are attached to a heavy implement or trailer they will go relatively slow (more realistic)....or a steep hill can nearly stop a huge tractor.  On the whole I'm very happy that I decided to download the MR mod as it improves the physics and playability of the game. 

As far as losing favorite mods or lack of maps.  It is super easy to convert a map to MR, just have to make a couple adjustments.  Steerables and Trailers are a bit more difficult.  There is becoming a nice selection out there for MR and this will likely continue to grow until the official announcement of FS-15.  I lost a lot of my favorite mods (you can still use them with MR usually, but tractors and trucks just aren't the same after getting used to MR). 

I myself, highly recommend it.  I felt the same way and just wasn't sure if I wanted to go there or not.  I don't regret it. 

Offline Mrfarmhand2

• IH!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 06:53:40 AM »
question cause im wondering the same thing. How does it affect PC performance?

Offline dylan delong

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 07:01:37 AM »
I dont like it because its a game and it will never truly be realistic.
My vote
2) don't like it

Offline jay

• Regular
  • Beef steak when im hungry rye whisky when im dry
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 07:59:41 AM »
It makes handling bales with a frontend loader way better but other then that tractors have no power and are spining constantly. So for the most part
2) I dont like it

Offline RedFork2.0

• Ich hasse dich
  • Eagles Club
  • "Professional" Farmer
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 08:06:12 AM »
Poll added above.

Farmer plus other stuff.

Offline Jalars86

• Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 08:51:37 AM »
3) I don't use it

If they choose to implement something similar to MR into FS 2015 then that would be perfectly fine with me. At the moment though, I would rather have the larger selection of mods than the added realism from MR.

Offline lindbejb

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
What makes it hard is how Dural designed the engine physics.  He bases the engine off of PTO.  There should be more options for POT, draw-bar, and torque to distinguish between gas/diesel and gearing ratios.  As for the implement ground resistance, it is just a guess to how hard something should pull in the ground.  There should be a standardized table that where we can look are cutting width, depth of cut and type of cutting to calculate a standard cutting resistance.  Same for threshing on combines based on the inner workings of the combine (rotar size).  We can make fuel, speed, fuel consumption, weight and gearing work well but there are still issues.  I personally switched because the game was a joke.  40 hp tractor pulling a cultivator 30 mph across the field or a case 600 quad unable to pull a precision disk...  And the bales, smooth steering and handling.

Offline twhip56

• Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 09:58:14 AM »
nice poll tess....

i am not a fan of MR. i have tried it twice. the first time i had alot of issues with getting everything to work. the second time i tried it. it worked fine from what i saw, but it wasent the way i wanted to stay.

i think its cool and all. but not for me and the folks that tried it out with me.

and i wish that some of the cool mods that are MR, i wish it was easier to find a non MR of it.

Offline Darren K

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 11:26:25 AM »
I tried it briefly for the first time a couple weeks back, but had to remove it. My combine hired helper just would not complete a turn, and I think I had one other issue with the few things I tried. I really loved the way the tractor behaved once the cultivator was lowered that I tried, as I could really feel and see a palpable behavior with the tractor being under load. Sure, I could've asked around how to fix my issue(s), but with my luck, I'm confident that was only the beginning, so I had to give up. I do not venture into the multiplayer environment, and what I ran into was a deal-breaker. I really, really would prefer to run MR, though.

Offline Mack

• Co-Owner Of Harris Bro's Land & Cattle Co.
    • Lone Star Customs
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 11:41:41 AM »
I heard mr is going to no longer work soon with the 3.0 patch speaking of which anyone know when 3.0 will be out
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Owner of Oil Field Freight Co. - ATS VTC

http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/18/74/65/30/avatar10.jpg

Offline Buhler

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 11:55:17 AM »
should be 1 more option 4: like only certain aspects of it ie bale physics, control of vehicle that would be my choice
"I asked Jesus, "How much do you love me?" Jesus replied, "This much" and stretched his arms on the cross and died for me. If you love Jesus , put this as your signature. 97% WON'T do it. only 5% will stand up. I want to thank those who put this as there sig.
SIG BY JohnDeere0047

Offline seriousmods

• ScreaminEagle
  • Serious Mods for Serious Farmers
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 01:58:06 PM »
I have a unique perspective on MR because I actually know a friend of Dural who allowed me to have a sneak peek at the mod before it's official release.

I used to really love MR, but I see four problems with it.

1. Dural created a system that requires nearly perfect calibration in order to work right. But because converting to MR is a challenge in itself, let alone converting properly, we have gone from small tractors that could pull large implements to large tractors that can't pull small implements and combine harvesters that move at the speed of a snail. In a way, because of improper conversions, sometimes MR makes the game more unrealistic.

2. MR has opened the door for a lot of foreign mod sites to completely ignore typical standards of conduct like asking permission before releasing an edit of someone's mod. There are pages and pages of mods that have been "converted to MR", but I can guarantee you that the converters of these mods did not think about asking members of this site or others before posting these mods for download.

3. MR has serious compatibility issues with standards mods. For this reason, if you want to really enjoy an MR game, you have to find MR mods for all your needs. The problem is that there are still not enough mods to fulfill the full requirements of someone who likes variety in their equipment, so we're stuck with either a half-MR game or a game with only a few mods, all of which are MR conversions.

And 4. MR can be incredibly frustrating. Yes the standard game engine allows you to stop on a dime and do things that could never happen in real life, but on the opposite spectrum, if you're driving an MR truck down a hill and you start to run out of control and end up at the bottom of a ravine or in a creek, that's no fun at all.

As others have said who are real farmers, they want to have a game that is fun to play, not so realistic that it is basically a repeat of the struggles they face in real life.

Someday I might make the switch to MR, but for now, I'm going to focus on fine-tuning the mods I have that work on the standard game engine and enjoying those.

And as a final note, if MR was a global mod that automatically converted all mods in the folder to work with its specifications, I'd use it any day of the week. But I don't even think that is remotely possible.

Hosea 10:12
"Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground. . . .

Offline tessfarms (OP)

• 500+
  • Respect For Modders!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 02:29:30 PM »
I have a unique perspective on MR because I actually know a friend of Dural who allowed me to have a sneak peek at the mod before it's official release.

1. Dural created a system that requires nearly perfect calibration in order to work right. But because converting to MR is a challenge in itself, let alone converting properly, we have gone from small tractors that could pull large implements to large tractors that can't pull small implements and combine harvesters that move at the speed of a snail. In a way, because of improper conversions, sometimes MR makes the game more unrealistic.

2. MR has opened the door for a lot of foreign mod sites to completely ignore typical standards of conduct like asking permission before releasing an edit of someone's mod. There are pages and pages of mods that have been "converted to MR", but I can guarantee you that the converters of these mods did not think about asking members of this site or others before posting these mods for download.

3. MR has serious compatibility issues with standards mods. For this reason, if you want to really enjoy an MR game, you have to find MR mods for all your needs. The problem is that there are still not enough mods to fulfill the full requirements of someone who likes variety in their equipment, so we're stuck with either a half-MR game or a game with only a few mods, all of which are MR conversions.

And 4. MR can be incredibly frustrating. Yes the standard game engine allows you to stop on a dime and do things that could never happen in real life, but on the opposite spectrum, if you're driving an MR truck down a hill and you start to run out of control and end up at the bottom of a ravine or in a creek, that's no fun at all.

As others have said who are real farmers, they want to have a game that is fun to play, not so realistic that it is basically a repeat of the struggles they face in real life.

Someday I might make the switch to MR, but for now, I'm going to focus on fine-tuning the mods I have that work on the standard game engine and enjoying those.

And as a final note, if MR was a global mod that automatically converted all mods in the folder to work with its specifications, I'd use it any day of the week. But I don't even think that is remotely possible.
Wow, you could not have said it ANY better!  Great post Josh  (y) (y) (y) (y)

Offline seriousmods

• ScreaminEagle
  • Serious Mods for Serious Farmers
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 02:46:33 PM »
Wow, you could not have said it ANY better!  Great post Josh  (y) (y) (y) (y)

Thanks buddy. :)

My long-windedness came in handy. :)

Hosea 10:12
"Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground. . . .

Offline Cummins13

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 02:50:17 PM »
Like tess said great post. i am one of those real farmers you mention. iv looked at mr mods and played with them and it's bad when you you have a 500hp tractor that weighs 40000lb cant pull something up a hill that in real life would never faze it. i thank that people that convert mods to mr should talk to the many farmers that around this great site bout how the equipment acts in real live versus going off a spec sheet form john deer or case. just my two sense.

Offline HighValleyFarms

• Can't farm at school so I turned to this.
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 02:58:22 PM »
Non MR is the way to go.
Studying Farm Management and Ag Systems Technology.

Offline AndyC

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 03:17:12 PM »
Well I'm a real life farmer and have been my whole life. It's the only job I've ever had. Now I prefer MR yes the big tractors struggle at times how ever a 2 second adjustment in the XML to set the horsepower up just a fraction remedies all that. I've gotten to the point that I don't even use non MR mods anymore. The game is just not even fun to me using the ingame equipment or the non mr equipment.

Offline skoomalegend

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 03:24:10 PM »
aside from all it's features, mr basically tells you what you can and can't do. i figure if you use common sense you can also make that choice without mr telling you to. i have never used it and probably never will do to having to use this patch with that patch and seems more problems then it's worth. imo takes the fun out of it. there is more to making it mr then wheel slip or gear changes and so on. most of what makes things real will never be achieved do to not being able to smell exhaust or  breakdowns that take a day or to to get the part and so on. imo the people who make lua's and maps to look and act more realistic is the way to go, and hopefully giants will do things like making the ploughed ground fold over or cornstalks sticking out from using a ripper. the game will progress im sure. i have looked at 09 mods to what they are at now and it shows improvement is on the way, and will continue, just like i feel the game will eventually. that being said, i take nothing away from dural and his efforts and the time he set aside to do this.

Offline lindbejb

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »
what I do now is open the game up. hit ~ and type in debug mode to look at the KW usage.  If it is lower than listed on tractor data even though I have the right figure there I adjust the transmission efficiancy until the power is right where it should be.  Typically anywhere from 0.95 - 1.1% in the .xml

Offline LMBFarmer

• OS-FS
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 03:58:41 PM »

What he said  ::) to the letter... One more thing is MR mods can be harder on the PC....
In my case i play on a 4 year old low spec laptop.. and MR took my frame rate to about 5fps....
And i've done the real life farming too.... MR has a ways to  to go before it's really MR.
Just my 2 cents :) :)

Everyday's a revolution, welcome to the future.

Offline tessfarms (OP)

• 500+
  • Respect For Modders!
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 08:55:32 AM »
By the looks of things, I will not worry about learning to mod for the MR stuff as of yet.  Majority seems to be against it.