American Eagles Modding Forums

Hi! You are currently viewing forum as a guest. For more features please login or register!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Forum Stats

Latest Member

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

October 17, 2019, 04:55:52 PM

Author Topic: Editing a FS19 map (midwest horizon) help  (Read 254 times)

Offline farmallflan (OP)

Editing a FS19 map (midwest horizon) help
« on: October 06, 2019, 09:04:56 AM »
Hi All,
  Hoping someone could help with this. I have done some research but no one really covers the simple opening of the file, where the file is, how to save the file, and will it effect my save game, etc.
   I want to edit the map I am playing(midwest horizon). I need to know the basics of how to open it with what version of GE, where to open the file from. Any simple basics you could suggest would be great. I don't know if it should be opened from the mods folder, or if I should put a copy on the desktop, or if I need to open it from the c/program files/farmingsimulator19 folder or what.

I am sorry if this info is on the site. Thanks a bunch!

Mike

Offline MikeLowery

Re: Editing a FS19 map (midwest horizon) help
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 01:05:10 PM »
Hi All,
  Hoping someone could help with this. I have done some research but no one really covers the simple opening of the file, where the file is, how to save the file, and will it effect my save game, etc.
   I want to edit the map I am playing(midwest horizon). I need to know the basics of how to open it with what version of GE, where to open the file from. Any simple basics you could suggest would be great. I don't know if it should be opened from the mods folder, or if I should put a copy on the desktop, or if I need to open it from the c/program files/farmingsimulator19 folder or what.

I am sorry if this info is on the site. Thanks a bunch!

Mike

This should get you started on what ever you want to do...

https://www.farming-simulator.org/19/map-making-tutorial.php
https://farming-simulator.org/map-making-tutorial.php

Mikelowery

Offline farmallflan (OP)

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 02:51:15 PM »
Thanks Mike for the links. They were helpful. I am looking for some specific information if anyone could sound off on this. So, I can now open a mod map and change something(all I am doing is deleting a house) and then I re-save the map(i3d) file. I then re-zipped all the files that go with the map and put it in the mods folder. But of course, like all the other people who are trying the same thing, I load the map but it just hangs up.
  The last time I edited the map I hadn't started a savegame yet for it and I thought that would make a difference. I mean, let's say I download a map here. Make a copy. Open the copy and do what I want, zip it back up and put it in the mods folder. Won't work.
   But I can obviously put the origianal zip file in the mods and it works.
   Just seem like the same files to me except for my modifications. Hopefully someone can give me that one piece of the puzzle I am missing.
  Thanks to all on this subject. I appreciate it!

Mike

Offline JohnDeere1952

• Global Moderator
  • ScreaminEagle
  • Search the Book of the Lord . . . Isaiah 34:16 (
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 04:20:23 PM »
 Is the house you are removing in the placeholders transform in GE? If so it will need eliminated in the items xml also.  Also try loading the map with no other mods in your folder and if issue persists  Post your log text.

Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Psalm 27:14

Offline farmallflan (OP)

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 06:19:32 PM »
Oh boy. I will try and answer your question. Once again this is MidewestHorizon. This is the house in the bottom right corner of field 62. In GE when I highlight that farmhouse it shows the transform tab at the right side of GE under attributes.
 I see a "default items" xml but dont see the house. Where is the items xml you mentioned located? Thanks for your response.

Mike

Offline Bigskymod

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 07:47:10 PM »
i went into the midwest horizon map that i download off this site.  went to field 62 then went down to the building sit with a few buildings on it.  it is under Farms, Farm7, Buildings, residentialBulding01 is where the house is at on scenegraph.  the only thing that gets referenced back is some doors for a few sheds.  should be able to delete whole transform group farm7 and not cause any issues unless you use a saved game then you will get errors in animatedObjects.xml. should say in your log file where the game is getting hung up at.

Offline Broncfan03

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 11:21:36 PM »
A little tip I do when editing a map with prefab buildings:  instead of deleting them (which can cause other issues), I just move the buildings down under the surface of the map.  I've done this in Midwest Horizon when I wanted to change the layout of some of the pre-existing farms.

Offline farmallflan (OP)

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 07:21:56 PM »
This is good info, guys. Just a quick question while I am testing and refining my methods here. I shouldn't get any errors or warnings in the lower console area in GE when re-saving the map. Right? On my recent test, I opened the map, made no changes, and went to re-save but see things in the console like can't load resource or missing texture.
   I was just curious. More testing ahead.

On a good note, i was able to unzip the map contents out of its folder, re-zip them back up and then open the map in the game. Seems to me like GE is very sketchy. I will try opening a map and GE will crash. Next time it opens but there are already errors. Next time I open the map and its fine. Ugggh

I did try putting the house below the map but I think if I could get the map to re-save without errors it might work.(or not:))

Mike

Offline Broncfan03

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 11:47:57 PM »
You shouldn't get any errors in the window, as long as there wasn't any to start with before editing the map.  Another tip with editing, you don't have to zip the map back up to play, this is only for multiplayer.  Just leave it as a folder to test it in game.  That will save you a few steps if you need to make more changes to your map.  And, ALWAYS MAKE A BACK UP of your map!  Once you start making changes, have several back-ups. 

Offline farmallflan (OP)

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 10:25:34 AM »
The more I learn on this the more i am confused. So for an experiment, I copied all the felsbrunn files to safe place and edited that map. Removed the little shack and tree fort(hunter lodge) from field 19,20 area. Saved with absolutely no errors and I was able to play that map and the two things were gone. Should that tell me something or not?

Offline Bigskymod

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 12:59:23 PM »
hopefully you didnt edit the map files in the main fs19 folder.  to get in game maps open ge go to file and than new mod from game and select one of the maps.  it will create a folder on your computer, creates a new mod map.  than copy that folder to your mod folder and edit it thier.  if you mess with main game files you may have to reinstall the game.  sounds to me you need to find and download the midwest horizon map again and get rid of all the other copies you have.  sounds like the map is corrupt and easiest is to start fresh.

Offline farmallflan (OP)

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 02:47:03 PM »
Thanks BigSky for the help. I am completely starting new. Re-installed the whole game. Re-downloaded MidwestHorizon. I now tried new mod from game like you said but I am getting an error saying "Wrong game installation path. Please verify editor preferences".
   My Horizon map is the only mod in the mods folder. Is that where the new mod from game is supposed to be looking in? The file, preferences, in GE has the path as   " C:/Users/Desktop/Documents/My Games/FarmingSimulator2019/mods/".