American Eagles Modding Forums

Hi! You are currently viewing forum as a guest. For more features please login or register!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Forum Stats

Latest Member

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

February 25, 2021, 06:53:29 AM

Author Topic: Black Mountain Montana v2.0  (Read 2136 times)

Offline hoot (OP)

• Eagles Club
  • If it's stupid but works, it ain't stupid.
Black Mountain Montana v2.0
« on: August 02, 2019, 09:45:37 PM »
Black Mountain Montana v2.0

http://americaneaglesmodding.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=1789

Welcome to Montana the Big Sky Country.

This map was created using real world terrain from the area around Black Mountain near Missoula Montana.  Version 2.0 of the map has been made ready for the seasons mod.  The winters will be very cold with lots of snow and the summers will be hot and dry.  The main roads will have the snow plowed since that is done by the road department in real life.  You will need to plow the mountain roads if you want to log in the winter.  I recommend starting a new career with the seasons mod.  To continue an existing career with this version, back-up the old map version and rename this one "FS19_BlackMounain" and place it in the mods folder.

Most of the map is mountainous forest with some farmland in the Northeast called the Big Flat in the real world.  There is a fictional small town in the Northeast corner with the equipment dealer and the sell points.  There is also a sell point in the Northwest at the horse ranch.  There is no BGA or train. 

The focus of the map is forestry, but there are enough decent size fields that a player can easily make a living just with farming.   There are no animal zones so they will have to be placeables.  There is ample open flat ground for the player to use for placeables.  You may have to cut down a few trees and grind the stumps off first.

Version 2.0 Change log:
-Snow mask added for the Season mod.
-Weather adjusted for Seasons mod.
-Traffic flow modified.

Credits:  Hoot, Giants Software, Dorset (gates), Fatian(roads), RWModding (fences), JohnDeere1952 (entrance)

The PDA map has the mountain roads highlighted and color coded.  The roads highlighted in blue are the primary access routes suitable for trucks with trailers hauling heavy equipment.  The roads highlighted in yellow are secondary access routes suitable for trucks hauling empty or loaded log trucks.  The roads highlighted in red are skid trails are meant to be short cuts for logging equipment (or thrill seekers in pickups :D).

If you are familiar with the FS17 map then you should be able to find everything without trouble.  The sawmill has been moved down into the valley since the larger sawmill I used for FS19 did not fit in the old location.  Both the wood and wood chips sale triggers are at the sawmill and are configured the same as the default Ravenport map.  The wood heating plant (E.G. Miles Heat & Energy) in the extreme Northeast corner of the map also buys wood by the conveyor.  Also at the heating plant is the trigger to buy hay, grass, silage and straw.  It appears as "Barn" on the PDA and buys bales or loose.

The restaurant is next to the heating plant and is a regular sale point for grains, milk and eggs.  The grain mill just across the Clark Fork river is also a regular sale point.  The livestock market and spinnery are also across the river.  The last sale point is in the Northwest corner of the map and appears as "Ranch" on the PDA.  That area is set up to be the horse ranch and has a large grassy area for placeables and growing hay.

There are water triggers scattered around the map so you don't not need to buy a placeable one.  The large water tower in the town and the smaller one by the livestock exchange both have water triggers.  You can pump water from the river or the pond in Little Marten Gulch.  Additionally most of the green water tanks have water triggers.  There is a lime station at the equipment dealer.

To use placeables with FS19 the place anywhere mod is very useful.   The game engine has a lot of restrictions and it is difficult to find a location where you can put the placeable.  The place anywhere mod removes most of those restrictions.  Google "FS19 mod PlaceAnywhere" and you will be able to find a link to that mod.  I recommend saving your game before buying a placeable.  Then look at the result and make sure that the position is okay and it does not interfere with other objects.

To be able to cut down trees on this map you will need to buy the land first.  You can buy land in the game on the map overview menu by selecting "Lands" (key X).  The price of land with arable fields down in the valley is fairly high like it would be in real life.  The price of forested lands up in the mountains is much lower.  In real life a logger would pay a fee to procure the rights to harvest the timber and not actually purchase the land.  I have adjusted the prices of the forest units accordingly.  The price of the forested land is based on the area and the value of the trees that I judged to be on the unit.  If there are less trees or smaller ones,  the price is low.  The units with lots of the largest trees are priced higher.  There is a pickup provided in the starting equipment regardless of the difficulty level selected for the career.  That pickup is parked at the equipment dealer since for most players one of the first tasks will be to buy some equipment.  I encourage players to use the pickup to scout out the map and determine what land they would like to buy.  If you want to harvest smaller trees for wood chips then there are units with a lot of pulp wood.  There are other units with larger trees suitable for saw logs. 

Have fun on the map,
Hoot
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 12:38:59 PM by hoot »

The following users thanked this post: Dirtracer00, Kerbo, Chester54

Offline Kerbo

Re: Black Mountain Montana v2.0
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 12:38:39 PM »
Thanks for converting this to Seasons, it's one of my favorite maps!

One small change I've made locally is to use "smaller" grass on the map. In the i3d I replaced fileId 233 with grassDE.xml and changed decoFoliage to use that file as well. This gives a better look to the map in my opinion and avoids the corn like look of the Ravenport grass. Maybe something to think about if you do another update?

Regards,
William/Kerbo

The following users thanked this post: hoot

Offline hoot (OP)

• Eagles Club
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 12:56:17 PM »
One small change I've made locally is to use "smaller" grass on the map. In the i3d I replaced fileId 233 with grassDE.xml and changed decoFoliage to use that file as well. This gives a better look to the map in my opinion and avoids the corn like look of the Ravenport grass. Maybe something to think about if you do another update?
Thanks Kerbo,  I have been considering that, but just wanted to get a seasons ready version out as quick as I could.  I don't really like how some of the foliage I used looks in the winter.  A consideration is that since I am just using default foliage, it is possible that an update to the seasons mod will address that issue.  As you noted in your video there are some bugs in the seasons mod, so I am sure that there will be updates to it.  Still seasons is an awesome edition to the game.

Have fun with your homestead.  Winters on Black Mountain are a challenge.
Hoot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOePeyR9Lac

Offline Ag Hauler

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 03:31:01 PM »
Has this got a special weather GEO

Offline hoot (OP)

• Eagles Club
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 05:51:27 PM »
Has this got a special weather GEO
Hi Ag Hauler,  the custom weather for this map is set by the file FS19_BlackMountain_Seasons/maps/seasons/weather.xml.  You can edit it if the winters are too harsh :laugh:.  The file maps/seasons/environment.xml corrects the latitude to that of Missoula Montana which determines the day length.

The following users thanked this post: Chester54

Offline Kerbo

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 09:46:42 AM »
Found a problem, the seasons folder needs to be in root of the mod (where modDesc.xml is located) and not in maps folder. Confirmed with extra logging in seasons that it wasn't picking up changes and was using defaults

Offline hoot (OP)

• Eagles Club
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 11:20:04 AM »
Thanks again Kerbo.  I went back and reviewed the original instructions and it did say to put the seasons sub-folder in the same folder as the file map.xml.  It has now been changed on the Realismus modding site and you are correct it says to put that sub-folder where modDesc.xml is. 

There are some good GEO mods now and I recommend using them instead.  So the seasons sub-folder will not be needed.  Here is the Seasons GEO mod U.S. Midwest:
https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.php?lang=en&country=us&mod_id=137667&title=fs2019

You can easily edit the GEO mod as desired to better model the conditions in the mountains of Montana.  To correct the daylight hours in the GEO mod edit the file environment.xml and change the latitude to 46.8.
Code: [Select]
<latitude>46.8</latitude>

The winters in the mountains of Montana are colder than the Midwest and typically have more precipitation.  I edited the temperature in the GEO mod file weather.xml to this:
Code: [Select]
<temperature>
        <dailyMaximum>
            <value period="11">-2.9</value>
            <value period="12">1.0</value>
            <value period="1">5.5</value>
            <value period="2">11.0</value>
            <value period="3">16.9</value>
            <value period="4">21.0</value>
            <value period="5">26.7</value>
            <value period="6">26.3</value>
            <value period="7">19.4</value>