American Eagles Modding Forums

Hi! You are currently viewing forum as a guest. For more features please login or register!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Forum Stats

Latest Member

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

July 08, 2020, 09:08:13 AM

Author Topic: FS-UK NEWS  (Read 2001 times)

Offline MikeLowery

Re: FS-UK NEWS
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2019, 05:54:43 PM »
The issue with find a mod topic is how are you going to keep the link active. What if the site hosting it close or they take it down. Now the mod is gone. Its not on our site to host. I was just looking thru the find a mod section and some of the links are not working any more. That is the problem i don't won't to have. I will have to go and clean that stuff up... That is just one issue i saw.

mike

Offline AlbertL (OP)

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2019, 10:36:39 PM »
The issue with find a mod topic is how are you going to keep the link active. What if the site hosting it close or they take it down. Now the mod is gone. Its not on our site to host. I was just looking thru the find a mod section and some of the links are not working any more. That is the problem i don't won't to have. I will have to go and clean that stuff up... That is just one issue i saw.

mike
That has been a major problem on other sights as well when attempting to honor creators respect/wishes to use original links extra.
But then that is the issue isn't.
How the * do we be fair, and yet get as much content out as far as we can to the WHOLE community without pissing off half of that same community???
"I asked Jesus, "How much do you love me?" Jesus replied, "This much" and stretch

Offline MikeLowery

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2019, 11:02:04 PM »
put the mod on the site and then in the support topic have a link back to the original mod.. that is what i do when i bring someone mod here.

for example here is one i uploaded a tractor...

http://americaneaglesmodding.com/index.php?topic=15022

The following users thanked this post: AlbertL

Offline AlbertL (OP)

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 04:10:34 AM »
put the mod on the site and then in the support topic have a link back to the original mod.. that is what i do when i bring someone mod here.

Then wouldn't your testers have to download both the uploaded/and original link to make sure the uploaded one was in fact UNALTERED/edited?
Sounds like more work for all of you.
"I asked Jesus, "How much do you love me?" Jesus replied, "This much" and stretch

Offline Ag Hauler

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2019, 09:57:57 AM »
I just went through the Found a Map section. There are 4 links that appear to no longer be active for one reason or another. I still think that this is the way to do it. As far as testing goes. Why do we need to test stuff that isn't uploaded here to begin with? If whoever posts the original link does any kind of a review at all you will have a general idea if it will work or not. All of the links in this section are to things on other sites. We don't necessarily need to put the actual downloads here. Just a link to where they are with their own support topic or lack thereof. As far as the broken link issue. Put a note at the bottom of the rules. If someone posts a link that goes dead, PM me and I'll send the original poster a message where they can fix the link or take it down. At least one of the links in the Found a Map section is dead because the original poster moved it from his Facebook page to here after I contacted him. The idea that I think we are trying to get accomplished here is to get more traffic flowing through here and as a result get more helpful people. I don't think that we're wanting to upload everything here, just become the go to place for everyone.

The following users thanked this post: Tom Cat

Offline AlbertL (OP)

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2019, 05:16:26 PM »
I still think that this is the way to do it. As far as testing goes.
I was replying to Mikes suggestion,

where he kept the original link, but also uploaded it on AEM.

Having only quality mods, edits. While not being to overly critical was one of our best services.
Downloading a mod from here, you never had to question weather or not it was a authorized edit or that it was properly converted.
I mean modhub has stuff that barely changes the version number, loaded with texture, shaders errors. Many even with the OLD light scripts from 2011.

Here you NEW that the mod would be free of log errors, and free from spam, malware extra. Cause everything uploaded here is tested, and is required to meet our reasonable standards.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2019, 01:46:57 PM »
Hmmm ..

While some are micro-debating pro and cons about hosting links to maps and mods, others engage us in the help department .. I'm not the only one (fortunately, as many of my answers are qualified guesses, submitted after I downloaded and looked into peoples maps/mods issues) and a great thanks to everyone who participates ..

I'm not sure if this is making any differences yet, but it looks like new people are asking questions, and new people are answering .. Maybe this is a kind of snowball effect - if people gets answers, they are inclined to ask again, or maybe wants to help others ..

It is not always necessary to know the exact answer - sometimes it's enough to guide a little bit .. A little help is better than the sound of silence ..

Tom Cat

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 04:06:03 PM by Tom Cat »
In order to get the right answer, you must ask the right question.

The following users thanked this post: MikeLowery, AlbertL

Offline AlbertL (OP)

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2019, 06:47:53 AM »
Hmmm ..

While some are micro-debating pro and cons about hosting links to maps and mods, others engage us in the help department .. I'm not the only one (fortunately, as many of my answers are qualified guesses, submitted after I downloaded and looked into peoples maps/mods issues) and a great thanks to everyone who participates ..

I'm not sure if this is making any differences yet, but it looks like new people are asking questions, and new people are answering .. Maybe this is a kind of snowball effect - if people gets answers, they are inclined to ask again, or maybe wants to help others ..

It is not always necessary to know the exact answer - sometimes it's enough to guide a little bit .. A little help is better than the sound of silence ..

Tom Cat

For the most part, in all reality that is ALL any of us do.
From the day the new game comes out, it is learn as you go....
Especially until the scripts get released, it is 100% guess work until we are able to read the new lua files for the base scripts.

That said, I did my very best to pass forward what I learned from Big C, xentro, and MANY others out. I did my best to try to teach to teach others to NOT JUST edit, build for yourself, to make your stuff compatible, but to instead work with others to maintain a reasonable standard so that mods from me are compatible in weight, scale, attacker type ratio xyz extra. one of our easy, quick fixes for physics problems was to increase the density to 150 ish....
But then that tractor was to heavy to be held up by the bridge collisions, or would require a 100,000 hp truck, with a mega trailer to haul it around.
That's when some of the best out there thought me about collision masking, density, and how that translate to scaled weight .

[mod would of weighed about 800,000 lbs.. average excavator is 80-150lbs witch is about 15-30 density with 2002 collision mask and 802102 for the bucket alone.]
the add break and down force in the XML.

Anyway, I ran across a couple maps I though where ASSUME, and thought I would test the system out.
The first is,
NEBRASKA LANDS USA 4X
And
Emerald Coast V3

Both have the fs19 Dynamic Mud, plus a lot more really cool *.
Both have been shared and awaiting approval from testers and the admin staff.

I hope that what I did can be used as a example, of both what to do as well as pointing out any differences/changes the staff would -prefer.

Some tune-age for your gaming pleasure....

Offline Ag Hauler

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2019, 08:59:47 AM »
Nebraska Land is posted in the Found A Map section and has been for a few days. Emerald Coast was posted there but I removed it due to the link being dead. If you can direct me to a new link I will look it up again.

Offline AlbertL (OP)

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2019, 09:46:32 AM »
Nebraska Land is posted in the Found A Map section and has been for a few days. Emerald Coast was posted there but I removed it due to the link being dead. If you can direct me to a new link I will look it up again.
Cheek then "pending" download section.

Offline MikeLowery

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2019, 10:47:03 AM »
Thanks albert.

The following users thanked this post: AlbertL

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2019, 05:37:33 PM »
Okay ..

I can see that the ambition of adding maps to the "found a map" section is well underway .. So far so good ..

Now, are there any more tricks in the bag, or are we contend with how things are developing ? .. A bit more life in the forum has also been noticed ..

I'm just asking - no other thoughts behind the question ..

We got a few promotions - congratulations to AG Hauler and JohnDeere1952 - well deserved ..

Tom Cat

The following users thanked this post: Ag Hauler, JohnDeere1952

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2019, 02:22:06 PM »
Hello - all of you who is following this thread ..

Not been so active the last week (nobody has apparently) .. But let's try and relight this burned out camp fire talk again ..

How are things evolving ? .. The members do keep coming - but why ? .. Can't be because of our forum - two questions the last five days .. Seems to be an easy task to be a moderator these days ..

And "oh dear" - really some good questions .. I mean, they are good questions, but not much information for those who are trying to help .. What is going on ? Is it so difficult to describe the problem properly, and then just add the log .. The last one didn't even mention which mod caused the problem .. I don't know about the rest of you - but my crystal ball must be broken, because it doesn't tell me anything that clarifies these things .. Maybe It should be repaired (who fixes these orbs ? Can't find any on google - maybe the dark web ..  :P )

But apart from that - any groundbreaking ideas to reviving AEM ?

Not much is happening - I'm assuming everybody is thinking deep thoughts, on how to reinvent the wheel ..

Tom Cat

Offline MikeLowery

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2019, 05:53:59 PM »
Hello - all of you who is following this thread ..

Not been so active the last week (nobody has apparently) .. But let's try and relight this burned out camp fire talk again ..

How are things evolving ? .. The members do keep coming - but why ? .. Can't be because of our forum - two questions the last five days .. Seems to be an easy task to be a moderator these days ..

And "oh dear" - really some good questions .. I mean, they are good questions, but not much information for those who are trying to help .. What is going on ? Is it so difficult to describe the problem properly, and then just add the log .. The last one didn't even mention which mod caused the problem .. I don't know about the rest of you - but my crystal ball must be broken, because it doesn't tell me anything that clarifies these things .. Maybe It should be repaired (who fixes these orbs ? Can't find any on google - maybe the dark web ..  :P )

But apart from that - any groundbreaking ideas to reviving AEM ?

Not much is happening - I'm assuming everybody is thinking deep thoughts, on how to reinvent the wheel ..

Tom Cat

have you looked at the new download section.. but i dont think you can see it lol.. but its there fully operational We are putting more mods ups just picky of what we put up, Don't want to become the other site. Moving slowing but moving.

The following users thanked this post: Tom Cat

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2019, 06:29:23 PM »
Glad to hear you aren't gone on Christmas holiday yet  ;)

Yes, can see it - not many mods yet, but hopefully coming (to a Galaxy near you .. )

Don't you mean The DARK side (and not the other site) .. Ha ha ha .. Mike Skywalker ..  ::)

And may the Ford's be with you (oh dear, what a bunch of bad puns  .. )

Tom (Bad Pun) Cat ..
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 06:33:19 PM by Tom Cat »

Offline Ag Hauler

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2019, 07:23:17 AM »
I apologize for being inactive this last week. We have been fighting through an ice storm and it has made for some extremely long days the last couple of weeks. I'm also awaiting permissions on some of the mods that I have to put up. There should be a few new mods available though. I'm finding through my permission requests that there are a lot of people out there that don't even know that we exist or that have forgotten about us.

The following users thanked this post: JohnDeere1952

Offline JDboy

• Meme King Jiggle Johnny
  • Administrator
  • AEM Secretary
    • Country GOLD 93
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2019, 01:42:03 PM »
Well, I certainly can't claim to have any ideas aside from following the line of thoughts which have already been expressed. (Provided I can't claim to have read all of them... I haven't the time ;D)

The thought that occurred to me while reading the first couple of posts from this thread is that we really developed here as an offshoot from poor treatment which was given to many members over on FS-UK. That said, I understand why we seem to be facing the same issue as FS-UK was, poor activity levels. I feel the solution is to determine once again what our goal is; i.e. Why do we want the site to continue? We can't simply be "the alternative" anymore (not that WE viewed it that way, but I'm sure a lot of others did).

We need to see about convincing some of the awesome modders and scripters to return here maybe twice a week or more and have them acting as a support staff of sorts. However, that will only get us so far as the general attitude (which a few of you already noted) seems to be wanting mods now and making small changes to just be better than the next guy they saw on Facebook. So not only do we have an issue in the area of people willing to help others learn to mod, but we have a lack of people wanting to learn how to mod in the first place... And I'm not sure how to handle that problem. Maybe we start some sort of campaign encouraging people to mod? That's going to be really tough to do.

I love that y'all want the site to continue! It is my hope it does as well, but (like some of you) I just don't have a whole lot of time to do that anymore. I used to dedicate practically ALL of my free time to Farming Simulator, but I'm at a stage where I don't have much of any free time to give anymore. I am still trying to pop in every now and again, so I'll do what I can to encourage activity on the forum. Facebook is alright (I personally ready don't like Facebook), but forums seems to have that real community feel for some reason. Maybe it's the signatures we have or the side panel avatars/titles. :laugh:

Offline JDboy

• Administrator
  • AEM Secretary
    • Country GOLD 93
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2019, 01:50:06 PM »
OH MY GOSH HE DOUBLE POSTED!

I know, but I had an idea and didn't want to edit the other post since I'm lazy. ;D

The thought just occurred to me, since I checked and the website here does not actually appear in the couple of Google Searches I tried, what if we started a few tutorials for YouTube demonstrating how to do a few simple edits? We can have simple edits on YouTube and promote the forum through that...

Also, I can do up another billboard thing for my radio station, try and build up my audience and throw in a few ads for the site here. I feel that's a fair trade since I utilized the site for multiple of my projects at absolutely no cost to me. hehe

The main thing is getting the traffic here and having something the traffic wants. (y)

The following users thanked this post: Ag Hauler, JohnDeere1952

Offline AlbertL (OP)

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2019, 07:34:42 PM »

The thought just occurred to me, since I checked and the website here does not actually appear in the couple of Google Searches I tried, what if we started a few tutorials for YouTube demonstrating how to do a few simple edits? We can have simple edits on YouTube and promote the forum through that...

I used to do that a LOT also shared my WIP projects, some still being worked on to this day as I find the time.
The real problem that I had back in 2015, when I still had the time to edit al most 24/7 was basic standers of universal compatibly of mods, edits extra.
As now, with the game engine much more advanced as it was back then it was back then makes the weight, density, collision masks settings, fifth wheel rotations limits (until giants adds trailer flex into the game, attatcher-joints MUST be able rotate side to side and for/aft enough to deal with uneven ground. Otherwise the joint will not allow your steering axles to touch the ground, or bind lifting your drives off the ground)   and support collisions on trailers even more critical now then it was back then.

When I tried sharing the standers that the Masters had set up for there own stuff in order to be universally compatible with global add-ons, as well as be more performance friendly caused a number of arguments.

Causing one person to "take all of his toys down and go home".
Those that have been here that long will remember who that was, if not, you will just have to dig through a few years worth of forums in order to find it.

I mean my first edits 2011 where over weight, throne together junk compared to the last ones I shared in 2015. But I Learned. Got to know Xentro, upsidedown, Satis, Stephan-S, Harley, Big Country, burner, Rafazr, jrbrown, Marhu and MANY many more. With there help, advice I got better, my uploads where compatible with the scripts they where writing, as well as usable on there maps, with there mods.
But in order to meet the greats, you have to be active in the community. Get yourself out there, make contact in the forums, help others, while asking for help yourself. Course, don't be like myself and be so far ahead of everyone else with your imagination that NO ONE is able to answer your questions.

As to your post about people asking for help with issues.
When I first started, I did not have a clue what I was doing, nor did I know how to ask for help.
Once I did, then I started picking it up fairly quickly once I learned where my Log text was, how to understand it to a point.
Then I was able to pass that one to others in the community.

I do not know HOW many times I would see a help post and have to ask for the most basic information in order to be of any help.

Witch patch version are you using?
Have you updated ALL mods in your folder, the game and your graphics card drivers?
What mods have you added since it worked?
What exactly did you change in the map before you tested it?
Also post your COMPLETE log text here, plus add any pictures, video or other information so that we can understand what your issue is.

I think I asked those questions at least three or four times a week for the 2013 and 2015 games.
Maybe a tutorial on How to post a help topic question might be a worthy endeavor.....
Of course as it just came into my head, I am not sure just how to do that where both the youngsters as well as us older folks would understand it.......

Will pounder this awhile.

Offline JDboy

• Administrator
  • AEM Secretary
    • Country GOLD 93
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2020, 07:06:57 PM »
Witch patch version are you using?
Have you updated ALL mods in your folder, the game and your graphics card drivers?
What mods have you added since it worked?
What exactly did you change in the map before you tested it?
Also post your COMPLETE log text here, plus add any pictures, video or other information so that we can understand what your issue is.

I think I asked those questions at least three or four times a week for the 2013 and 2015 games.
Maybe a tutorial on How to post a help topic question might be a worthy endeavor.....
Of course as it just came into my head, I am not sure just how to do that where both the youngsters as well as us older folks would understand it.......
That's a good point... I'll see about writing something up about that and setting up a pinned post in the help section. Have not a clue WHEN I'll get that done, but I'll write it in on the to-do list.

Just thought about this, we may also want something on the Facebook page which will drive people over to the forum. That might be a little tough since Facebook is akin to a makeshift forum as it is.

All things to be considering, but at least we've got something. Helps having a bunch of mod help topics already with fixes in them from previous versions which may or may not be compatible anymore. *shrug*

Offline AlbertL (OP)

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2020, 02:35:58 AM »
That's a good point... I'll see about writing something up about that and setting up a pinned post in the help section. Have not a clue WHEN I'll get that done, but I'll write it in on the to-do list.

Just thought about this, we may also want something on the Facebook page which will drive people over to the forum. That might be a little tough since Facebook is akin to a makeshift forum as it is.

All things to be considering, but at least we've got something. Helps having a bunch of mod help topics already with fixes in them from previous versions which may or may not be compatible anymore. *shrug*

That is 90% of how I resolve new issues. It is all "educated guess work". Until you fix the problem. Then you know...
But JUST because it is fixed, dose not mean your finished. Cause if you recall, our early fixes, work around in 2011 became MAJOR issues in 2013, and could cause problems with the next great global advancement our legions of the community are ALWAYS working on to surprise, impress and blow our minds with.
So just cause we fix it, have a 100% clean log, dose not make it finished until it can be released for 6 mouths with international access and NOT have any compatibility issues.

OK, suggestion on My idea.
Set up a thread in the Eagles Nest, start a basic outline of a help topic tutorial. This way you do not have to do all the thinking yourself. I know your a smart young man, but we don't need to waist it. You might need to save some for when your my age.....

This way all of us can see the plan, add feed back, and help to create a good, in depth video that covers as much as we can think of.
Together we all can recall the most common problems, and or even create certain script errors extra in order to show exactly what is going on extra......

I would start with how to open developer controls in game.
IE, Game text, change line 50-52 from "false" to "true".

Code: [Select]
<development>
        <controls>true</controls>
    </development>

Then show how to use the code above to share script, xml, lua extra.

That should be a good start of the outline......

Post Merge: January 02, 2020, 01:40:16 AM
JDboy, well I had a little time so I kind of Half backside started the outline in the Nest..........
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 03:40:16 AM by AlbertL »