American Eagles Modding Forums

Hi! You are currently viewing forum as a guest. For more features please login or register!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Forum Stats

Latest Member

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

September 20, 2018, 12:36:22 PM

Author Topic: [WIP] UnitConvert  (Read 726 times)

Offline ThundR75 (OP)

[WIP] UnitConvert
« on: June 10, 2018, 07:01:32 PM »
Hey all, I'm just making a post here to share a mod I've been working on.  It's called UnitConvert, and what it does is allow users and modders to change the units of measurements used in the game to anything they want.

I mod as a hobby, and sometimes I come up with things I think the community might like.  This is one of those mods.  As of right now, it's 95% done.  All I think I have left to do is update animal statistics screen, which I'm working on now.  Other than that, it's ready to go... or at least to be tested.  I don't have the ability to test it in multiplayer properly, though it should work fine in there.  My main concern is with the different layouts.  I want to make sure everything lines up the way it should on different systems.

I won't go into super detail here on how it works, I'll just explain the basics.  A pretty detailed readme can be found on my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/ThundRFSMods.  There is a download link pinned to the top, and everything you need is in the mods/FS17_UnitConvert folder.

Anyway, what UnitConvert does by default is just aesthetic changes.  It allows different menus, huds, and dialogs to display values using different units of measurements.  The inner workings of the game are untouched, UnitConvert only affects what you see.

As I said, the mod itself, just changes the layout of a few screens.  The bread and butter of the mod comes from the configuration files or modules that users can create.  I've currently made two of them.  The first, FS17_UC_USMidwest, uses data found on the web as a basis for which units are used.  The second, FS17_UC_UnitedStates, is more of a simplified version.  It doesn't use as many different types of units.

I've posted a few screens below, to give you all a better idea of what it does.  It's a pretty basic mod, but I like what it does so far.  Gives the game a bit more of a "homey" feel lol.

The following users thanked this post: fordman992

Offline JohnDeere1952

• Global Moderator
  • ScreaminEagle
  • Search the Book of the Lord . . . Isaiah 34:16 (
Re: [WIP] UnitConvert
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 07:08:18 PM »
 Nice project.

Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Psalm 27:14

Offline ronzzz8554

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 10:44:35 PM »
Cant stand always having to pull up the unit conversion calculator.  Just cant seem to remember L/gallon, ha/acre, etc.  This is a very interesting project, good luck, and cant wait!

Offline slowboat

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 08:47:22 AM »
I just downloaded them and I am looking forward using them. I have using these mods and it gives a new look to the game in which I find very nice.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 11:43:40 AM by slowboat »

Offline MikeLowery

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 04:58:44 PM »
Has anyone gotten this to work? i have not been able to get it to work yet..

problem solved work great..
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:19:33 PM by MikeLowery »

Offline slowboat

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 05:08:49 PM »
I was able to download it with no problem at all an it works great for me.

Offline ThundR75 (OP)

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 07:03:22 PM »
Has anyone gotten this to work? i have not been able to get it to work yet..

Hey guys, if anyone is having problems getting it to work, let me know what exactly is happening (if anything).  Also, check your log file for errors.  I'm still setting everything up, so hopefully everyone will be patient with me :).  I'll double-check the files and make sure I didn't oops something.

Post Merge: June 11, 2018, 08:19:12 PM
Ok, so I re-uploaded the mod files.  I was in the middle of redoing the animal statistics when I uploaded it so there was some half-finished code in there.  Shouldn't have affected anything, but I cleaned it up and now all should be well.

Below is a screenshot of what your mod selection screen should look like if everything is working as it should.  I'm also over on my facebook page posting updates as I go, if anyone needs to message me.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:19:12 PM by ThundR75 »

Offline ThundR75 (OP)

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 07:49:57 PM »
Just posting an update.  The animal statistics screen is done, which makes the mod about 98% done.  All I really need to do is poke around for any screens, huds, or dialogs that I may have missed.  I know I need to do the bunker silo information yet, and I have to convert the storage information in the statistics screen.

I've updated all the files, including the sdk and readme.

FS17_UC_UnitedStates now only uses "volume" type units for everything.  Basically it's bushels for grain, cubic feet for everything else solid, and gallons for liquids.  The only exception is wool which uses pounds as a price unit.

FS17_UC_USMidwest is similar, but uses "mass" type units for storage and prices. This data was obtained from the USDA website.

Now, I have a question?  Should storage units be different from price units?  Or do you like it the way it is?  I'd also like to know what units should be used for different vehicle types.  The mod is all customizable, so technically you guys can make any configuration you want.  I'm just thinking in terms of the prebuilt addOns I'm making.  I've been asking around home here, and looking around on the web.  Everyone seems to have a different idea.  Just wondering what you guys think.

Finally, I want to thank everyone who is helping me test out this mod.  I appreciate it guys!

Offline slowboat

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 08:05:20 PM »
Great job on the mods.

The following users thanked this post: ThundR75

Offline Darren K

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 08:18:25 PM »
I have longed to see acres and bushels listed in the game, so I greatly value your work and contribution here. Acres and hectares is done easily enough in one's head, but having the visual would be so much nicer. This is something that GIANTS could've easily done many years ago, but whatever. I didn't see this thread until now, so I'll have to give this a shot later tonight. This script has a simple outcome, but plays a much larger role. Many, many thanks! (y)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:23:03 PM by Darren K »

Offline ThundR75 (OP)

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 09:43:59 PM »
I have longed to see acres and bushels listed in the game, so I greatly value your work and contribution here. Acres and hectares is done easily enough in one's head, but having the visual would be so much nicer. This is something that GIANTS could've easily done many years ago, but whatever. I didn't see this thread until now, so I'll have to give this a shot later tonight. This script has a simple outcome, but plays a much larger role. Many, many thanks! (y)

I felt the same way.  I finally thought to myself I'd just make a simple conversion mod, so I did.  It started out as just a simple hectare --> acre, liter --> bushel conversion mod.  Then I started thinking "I think other people might like this".  So I added in all the customizations, and the ability to create and use any unit of measurement you want, and came on over here.

Long story short, glad you like it so far!  Still working on the fine tuning, but it seems to be coming along nicely.

Offline Darren K

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 02:23:29 AM »
Since my last post, I have installed this, and yep, shows up just as your screen pics do. Absolutely brilliant, Todd (I guess I have that right)! This will be fun going forward. Thank you again. The commodity pricing has a bit more of a wow factor, but we already knew the gaming version of farming is set up to be a get rich quick scheme. I equally appreciate reading your well-written posts, as literacy is very hard to find online these days, and I wouldn't have even posted if you exhibited the common ADD trait combined with the ridiculous text-speak or whatever garbage tendency. Now if only I could get you to eliminate the unnecessary (incorrect!) double-space after periods, which went away once proportional width typesetting was introduced! :police:  :D

Should storage units be different from price units?  Or do you like it the way it is?  I'd also like to know what units should be used for different vehicle types.

Your questions have gone unanswered so far. I'll try to take a stab, but I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean on either. Storage and price units are different things, so I'm not sure why they would be the same. I must be reading that wrong. And then as far as units on vehicle types, are you talking about the fuel unit and units on grain carts versus loader bucket type of things? From what I'm seeing in game after a few minutes, you've nailed it. Now if only we could get the Courseplay folks to create the same option for their UI, although that really isn't a big deal.

Offline ThundR75 (OP)

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 06:27:18 AM »
Since my last post, I have installed this, and yep, shows up just as your screen pics do. Absolutely brilliant, Todd (I guess I have that right)! This will be fun going forward. Thank you again. The commodity pricing has a bit more of a wow factor, but we already knew the gaming version of farming is set up to be a get rich quick scheme. I equally appreciate reading your well-written posts, as literacy is very hard to find online these days, and I wouldn't have even posted if you exhibited the common ADD trait combined with the ridiculous text-speak or whatever garbage tendency. Now if only I could get you to eliminate the unnecessary (incorrect!) double-space after periods, which went away once proportional width typesetting was introduced! :police:  :D

Your questions have gone unanswered so far. I'll try to take a stab, but I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean on either. Storage and price units are different things, so I'm not sure why they would be the same. I must be reading that wrong. And then as far as units on vehicle types, are you talking about the fuel unit and units on grain carts versus loader bucket type of things? From what I'm seeing in game after a few minutes, you've nailed it. Now if only we could get the Courseplay folks to create the same option for their UI, although that really isn't a big deal.

Glad you're liking it so far!

About the double-space after sentences, well that's a funny story. I used to write more like this, but people actually complained about me NOT using the double-space lol. I don't spend a lot of time on forums or anything either, so I just write the way I learned it years ago. Force of habit lol ;) And yes, I agree with the "Eye rote a niw modz for tha game" type grammar being annoying  :o

The price unit vs storage unit pricing comment was because, in the beginning, the fill triggers at the silos (silo triggers) would display the same unit as the prices screen in the menu. I didn't allow for that to be changed. It's mainly a personal preference from user to user, so I added the option to customize it.

Now, as far as the config files I've written go (FS17_UC_USMidwest, etc.), everything is displayed in volumes. Prices are based on the USDA, which gives the weigh stations (which I have yet to convert) a little more of a purpose.

The reason I asked about fill type units of specific vehicles is because of how the mod determines the capacity of empty vehicles in the shop. I've been debating whether I should leave it as is, or come up with a better way of doing it. Currently, the mod looks through the fill categories listed in the vehicle xml and sets the fill unit based on the highest priority category found. If no categories are found, it does a reverse lookup based on the fill types listed.

Offline fordman992

• I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 10:00:15 AM »
Well, I'm really enjoying this mod! The only thing that's bugging me is the wheat and barley prices. On Hard mode, the wheat price was about $15.47 a bushel and barley wasn't too far behind. Now, that's all fine and dandy if you want to get rich quick. Around here, the wheat is currently sitting at around $5.00 a bushel. The only other thing that's kind of bugging me is that barley is measured in bushels. Around here, the price for barley is per ton. Those are really my only problems with the mod. I guess personal preference is what's making me notice them. Technically, they can't be considered problems... Anyway, great mod! Been looking for something like this since FS2009!
"I asked Jesus, "How much do you love me?" Jesus replied, "This much" and stretched his arms on the cross and died for me. If you love Jesus , put this as your signature. 97% WON'T do it. Only 3% will stand up.

Offline ThundR75 (OP)

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 01:50:24 PM »
Well, I'm really enjoying this mod! The only thing that's bugging me is the wheat and barley prices. On Hard mode, the wheat price was about $15.47 a bushel and barley wasn't too far behind. Now, that's all fine and dandy if you want to get rich quick. Around here, the wheat is currently sitting at around $5.00 a bushel. The only other thing that's kind of bugging me is that barley is measured in bushels. Around here, the price for barley is per ton. Those are really my only problems with the mod. I guess personal preference is what's making me notice them. Technically, they can't be considered problems... Anyway, great mod! Been looking for something like this since FS2009!

Glad you're enjoying it so far! The reason I'm doing this is for the community, so I'm happy to hear any comments or suggestions  :)

The prices are Giant's default prices, just converted. There are mods that change prices (and maybe yields too, I'm not sure). One of them is mrGameplay. That being said, if people would like the option of setting commodity prices and crop yields, I have no problem adding the feature. Whatever you guys want out of this, I'll do my best to make it happen.

The good news about your barley problem, is that this mod is customizable. Everything you need is in the sdk folder over on my Facebook page. Technically, you could measure barley in whatever unit you want. If you're not comfortable creating or editing files, shoot me a message. I'll make you a config with whatever units you like.  (y)

With that all said, I plan on putting the final touches on version 1.0.0.0 tonight. After that, if people want, I'll add more features. I'll keep you all posted.

Offline Darren K

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 02:07:44 PM »
I haven't used the Midwest module yet, but on the US one in the animal page, the base food is listed in bushels whereas the other feed items are in cubic feet. I'm guessing base food should also be cubic feet.

ThundR replied while I was putting mine together, but I'll leave the following since it explains it differently:

The only thing that's bugging me is the wheat and barley prices. On Hard mode, the wheat price was about $15.47 a bushel and barley wasn't too far behind. Now, that's all fine and dandy if you want to get rich quick. Around here, the wheat is currently sitting at around $5.00 a bushel.

I think you've misunderstood what this mod does. It is merely a unit converter that translates values and does not adjust anything. For example, wheat on hard in the GIANTS' way gets upwards of around $500, which is actually a .5 value. What is .5 x 35 (liters)? That equates to $17.50, so exactly the same as before. In a game, you wouldn't want $5 anything, otherwise you would progress as fast as a real farm. The only reason I brought it up earlier is that it's easier to see just how inflated the game makes it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 02:14:03 PM by Darren K »

Offline ThundR75 (OP)

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 04:08:32 PM »
I haven't used the Midwest module yet, but on the US one in the animal page, the base food is listed in bushels whereas the other feed items are in cubic feet. I'm guessing base food should also be cubic feet.

The units listed are based on what fill types belong to that group. For pigs, most of their food is grain-based, which is measured in bushels. Cows, on the other hand, use grass-based food. Those types are measured in cubic feet. How it currently works is grains (and root crops) --> bushels, anything else solid --> cubic feet, liquid --> gallons.

However, if that's not what you're seeing, I'll be uploading a new version of everything tonight. That should clear it up. On my screen, everything is showing as intended.

One final note, the United States config is intended for people who want US units, just not so many. With that said, would you guys rather I get rid of cubic feet in the US config?

Offline Darren K

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 05:03:59 PM »
Woops, I forgot one important detail. The base food I alluded to is for cows, which is set to bushels. I don't have pigs or sheep on my main save I was playing, so I didn't get to look those over. I was trying to get a feel for the simpler module last night, so I'll try the Midwest one tonight.

Offline ThundR75 (OP)

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 07:12:58 PM »
Quick update. I've updated all of the UnitConvert files and configurations. I'm currently working on the in-vehicle displays, which (I believe) is the last thing I need to do.

The digital displays (for the BGA and weigh stations) now show converted units. The weigh station uses "pounds" by default in both the UC_UnitedStates and UC_USMidwest configurations.

If anyone finds any errors or anything I missed, let me know.

Oh, and Darren. Try the new files and see if that fixes your problem. Base food for cows should be cubic feet in both configurations. If it's not showing that, take note of any mod (or map) that may add an extra fill type to the base food category for cows. If you're still seeing wrong info, let me know.

Post Merge: June 16, 2018, 09:38:23 PM
Just an update letting everyone know I've released UnitConvert 1.0.0.0. The download can be found here, as well as on my Facebook page.

I'll be moving over to the support topic forum, and I just want to thank everyone for their input!  (y) :)

Future versions will include any bugs that need to be squashed, support for additional fruit types commonly found on mod maps, and the ability for modders to add a <UnitConvert> section to their mod's modDesc.xml file. This could be useful when a mod adds a fill-type or category.

Thanks again everyone!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:38:23 PM by ThundR75 »

The following users thanked this post: JohnDeere1952, slowboat

Offline w900snowman

• Regular
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 02:59:09 PM »
Thank you so much for this mod!! This is awesome, and adds another whole layer of realism to the game. I am loving this mod. Now I have to remember the metric widths for setting up the GPS mod :o, but I'm not complaining 8). Thank you again for this one.

Offline AndrewInbody

• Rookie
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 03:42:39 PM »
I really like this mod. I wonder if there might be an update so the Farming Tablet would read the same measurements.

Offline ThundR75 (OP)

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 11:24:58 AM »
Thank you so much for this mod!! This is awesome, and adds another whole layer of realism to the game. I am loving this mod. Now I have to remember the metric widths for setting up the GPS mod :o, but I'm not complaining 8). Thank you again for this one.

I really like this mod. I wonder if there might be an update so the Farming Tablet would read the same measurements.

UnitConvert is accessible through the global g_unitConvert variable. So, technically any modder could update those displays. I'd do it, but I'd have to get permission from the author first  ;) I'm hoping that, if people like this mod enough, other modders will use it in their own creations  :)