American Eagles Modding Forums

Hi! You are currently viewing forum as a guest. For more features please login or register!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Forum Stats

Latest Member

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

October 17, 2019, 09:13:13 AM

Author Topic: Scripting lua help  (Read 894 times)

Offline Jachin (OP)

Scripting lua help
« on: January 22, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »
I'm hoping someone could give me a simple step by step for how to do an animated object using scripting. I feel like I am 90% there on understanding it, but I am still missing something. I would like to add things like animated airplanes of cows. Or like the train on county line. I have copied the lua to the scripts file, added the lua reference to the modesc, copied the object xml,  imported the actual object and tried to make sure the user attributes point to the right place, but I'm still not able to get it to work. What am I missing or not doing correctly?

Post Merge: January 22, 2018, 11:15:57 AM
Also I forgot to mention I am creating the spline for them to run on as well. I think I may just not have something in the right place folder wise or maybe user attributes are pointing to the wrong place or thing. Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:15:57 AM by Jachin »

Offline jb3pc4sale

• Global Moderator
  • ScreaminEagle
  • Another day another dollar
Re: Scripting lua help
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 11:16:25 AM »
I'm hoping someone could give me a simple step by step for how to do an animated object using scripting. I feel like I am 90% there on understanding it, but I am still missing something. I would like to add things like animated airplanes of cows. Or like the train on county line. I have copied the lua to the scripts file, added the lua reference to the modesc, copied the object xml,  imported the actual object and tried to make sure the user attributes point to the right place, but I'm still not able to get it to work. What am I missing or not doing correctly?
Not sure what your talking about. Are you talking about taking a animated object like a cow and adding that to the map?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:20:51 AM by JB3 Modding »

Offline Jachin (OP)

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 11:34:32 AM »
Yes a cow is one example.  Or some maps have an animated airplane.  Or like the train on county line or mills county.  I know they use a spline and a lua file but I'm not sure how to do it.

Post Merge: January 22, 2018, 11:46:40 AM
Basically how do you get on object that is not traffic or pedestrians to move along a spline? Maybe an animated cow is different than a static oject like a plane or a train, but I would like to know the principles of how to do it. Also with the train I'm not talking about a train that can be driven. Just an animated one like on county line. If there is a difference between an animated animal on a spline and a static object on a spline, I would like to know how to do both if possible. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:46:40 AM by Jachin »

Offline jb3pc4sale

• Global Moderator
  • ScreaminEagle
  • Another day another dollar
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 02:02:01 PM »
All these you have mention works on spline the object with the spline object should be imported in map at 0 0 0  in the GE The spline than needs to set it to visible and you may need to cut and paste in map so you will be able to move and lengthen or shorten The insert key for adding spots and delete removes the spot or dot. The dots are they way you adjust the spline to your liking. After you adjust the spline just cut and put back in transform group you take it from.  Make sure your files are in right place you can tell if you open up with notepad ++ It will tell you where the texture files suppose to be. Make copies of map before so if you mess up you can start over The log file will tell you if you mess up if the game loads. You will need the lua Mine is called AnimalPedestrian.lua you will need to look with notepad++ and see where the lua in what file and location. That should get you started. That applies to cows, horses, trains and airplanes.

Offline Jachin (OP)

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 05:59:45 PM »
I think I understand all of what you r saying so I probably just have something in the wrong place, or not pointing to the right file. Will try again. Thanks for your reply!