American Eagles Modding Forums

Hi! You are currently viewing forum as a guest. For more features please login or register!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Forum Stats

Latest Member

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

August 25, 2019, 11:12:44 PM

Author Topic: [TUT] Making Real Terrain For Maps  (Read 15957 times)

Offline Buhler2145

• Rookie
Re: [TUT] Making Real Terrain For Maps
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 01:01:22 PM »
SO I'm trying to get the mesh2heightmap file and it says it's not found on the website you gave. Any other files that might work??

Offline Zerozz

• Rookie
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 04:05:55 PM »
SO I'm trying to get the mesh2heightmap file and it says it's not found on the website you gave. Any other files that might work??

I have exactly the same problem  ???
please advice

Offline AlbertL

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 05:26:04 AM »
First i have not tested this methid as yet. But i have used napalm GOOGLE EATHER DEM TUT. And i found some maps use dds files not pgn. so if that old map01.dem is dds it needs be converted to dds or you will need to alter the file path.
just a posible issue on some maps you use for base.
"I asked Jesus, "How much do you love me?" Jesus replied, "This much" and stretch

Offline tessfarms

• 500+
  • Respect For Modders!
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 03:18:03 PM »

Now you're done in Paint.NET. Go to File>Save As... and save it as "map01_dem" without the quotation marks. Make sure you save it in the map01 Folder Click Save and it will bring you to a Window asking you what Bit you want to Save it in. Select 8-Bit. Click Save, and click Yes when overwriting the map01_dem in the map01 Folder.

Now open your map in GIANTS Editor. Make sure your map is unzipped by the way....... and look at your newly created Terrain. If the Hills and Valleys are too deep, try smoothing them out, or go into Paint.NET and use the "Hue/Saturation" tool to darken, lighten the Colors of the DEM. You can also use the Brightness/Contrast Tool in Paint.NET. Keep messing around with the Colors and the Tools getting the Terrain the way you want it. I will warn you now though.... You will have to do a lot of smoothing.

Where is the map_01 folder?  Did I miss something along the way ???  I just get prompted on what bit to save it in, than I click 8, and it saves it as a png file, which I cant open in giants.  AAARGH, im getting balder by the minute!
Never criticize a farmer with your mouth full!

Offline kj981300

• Eagles Club
  • ScreaminEagle
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2013, 11:18:08 PM »
I've been wanting to create a new map to release for some time now on an area where I grew up around. I am wondering what would be best, use this method, or use napalms? witch one is better for gameplay and easiest. if theres a tut already out for FS 2013 then I would appreciate it if I could be pointed in the right direction. Thanks, KJ.

ok * what I just said.. just hopped on fs-uk for the first time in a while (don't have an account there) and saw a tut for it..
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:29:32 PM by kj981300 »
If You Believe In YourSelf And Have Dedication And Pride - And Never Quit - You'll Be A Winner. The Price Of Victory Is High - But So Are The Rewards. ~Paul (Bear) Bryant

When They Say, "Let A Professional Do It".. Just How Dumb Do You Think I Am :facepalm: 

Offline Lone Tree Ridge Farms

• "American Farmer's, Gods hands to feed the World"
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2014, 06:58:08 PM »
Ive gotten to the stepwhere i push HeightMap. When i push the button it says that it "isnt an Orthographic View. Aborting..." What did i do wrong

"American Farmer's, Gods hands to feed the World"

Offline fignuts81

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2015, 08:23:44 PM »
Great tutorial. Can't wait to give this a try. Been wanting to make my Grandparents' farm in FS. This will be a big help! Thanks.

Offline Polly90

• Rookie
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2015, 04:33:59 AM »
This tutorial looks great! Could you please provide another link for downloading Google Sketchup 8 because the current one is not working.

Offline Farmerchase

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2016, 08:47:40 PM »
what do I use there is no sketch up 8. and do I have to create a account to get the plug in? pm me please

Offline JoeRoss12

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2019, 09:48:39 AM »
When the ray shooting is done, there is no image where I save it. What's the deal?

Offline jb3pc4sale

• Global Moderator
  • ScreaminEagle
  • Another day another dollar
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2019, 10:29:37 AM »
Here is the link I used to make a real terrain map. I couldn't get this tutorial to work for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJhYKJzxpCg

Offline JoeRoss12

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2019, 10:34:09 AM »
I actually tried that tut. The problem I have with that one is that when I open the .hgt file in micro dem, the whole thing is just solid blue. There is no height map. Just a blue pic with grid lines. Any ideas?

Offline jb3pc4sale

• Global Moderator
  • ScreaminEagle
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2019, 10:39:58 AM »
watch the turorial and pause at each step and than you should figure out what you need to do. I had to watch it a number of times to get all the steps. I kept missing things until I got all the steps in my mind and than it was easy enough.

Offline JoeRoss12

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2019, 02:10:23 PM »
I did follow it to the T. When I download the coordinate file, .hgt , and I open it in microDEM, I get nothing but a solid blue image. see pic. This is soo frustrating.

Offline jb3pc4sale

• Global Moderator
  • ScreaminEagle
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2019, 08:07:53 AM »
I think you have done something wrong, because the MicroDem should be green in color. Here is a pic of one of the a hgt file
save map as image and select quick map export to google earth. It will go to the location you wanted and than you to scale the image to fully transparent so you can see the map area you selected. I had to watch the video a number of times and pause each step until I did everything the way he show.

Offline JoeRoss12

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2019, 09:34:51 AM »
This is all I get.

Offline jb3pc4sale

• Global Moderator
  • ScreaminEagle
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2019, 10:57:17 AM »
I don't know why you are having troubles. You need to remove boundaries and etc from map. you need to measure out the area you want in km There is a lot you are missing.

Offline AlbertL

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2019, 05:06:53 PM »
This is all I get.
Personally I never used this method myself, But I feel that your missing the 3d aspect of your terrain. IE, Topographical visualization that can be rendered by Giants .dem file color system to actually show up in game as deterrent elevations.
From what I see, your map is showing you a two dimensional image, flat image.
You need to get a  the 3d SRTM Image from Google Earth then convert that to a map_01 PNG image and save as a Map_01.dem file.

SRTM
http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/srtmdata/
There are other places to get your SRTM Data from I am just have internet connectivity issues ATM to be able find them.

Pant.net
https://www.getpaint.net/index.html

This is only a GUESS bast on the method I used back in 2011 from a Tutorial I found on FS-UK.
"I asked Jesus, "How much do you love me?" Jesus replied, "This much" and stretch

Offline JoeRoss12

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2019, 11:31:40 AM »
I'll see if I can get something to work. Thanks for replying.

Offline JD4440man

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2019, 02:46:21 PM »
He has a new series of videos on youtube for fs 19. I'm hoping to try this soon with either a 2x or 4x map .

The following users thanked this post: AlbertL

Offline AlbertL

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2019, 08:38:05 PM »
He has a new series of videos on youtube for fs 19. I'm hoping to try this soon with either a 2x or 4x map .
Let me now how it works out Mate. I can't seam to get all the plug ins for The FS-UK version I used..

Offline JoeRoss12

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2019, 08:56:25 PM »
I finally followed through that updated tutorial for FS19 and actually had success! Its actually pretty easy/  :)
Here is my finished DEM and thankyou for your replies.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:31:30 AM by JoeRoss12 »

The following users thanked this post: AlbertL, JohnDeere1952

Offline AlbertL

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2019, 08:03:56 AM »
I finally followed through that updated tutorial for FS19 and actually had success! Its actually pretty easy/  :)
Here is my finished DEM and thankyou for your replies.

Nice, thanks for getting back to us on this,

How dose it look from in game when you go in?

Or GE...
The minimum required items to open a map in Start point, Store with import nodes, sun, warplane, at least one sell point and at least ONE field.

Good luck with the rest of your project.

Offline JoeRoss12

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2019, 09:15:38 AM »
I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I few adjustments to the DEM to align with the fields and this is how it looks.

Tell me what you think.

Post Merge: February 11, 2019, 09:17:33 AM
In case your wandering what the PDA looks like here it is.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:17:33 AM by JoeRoss12 »