Discord vs TeamSpeak

American Eagles Modding Forums

Hi! You are currently viewing forum as a guest. For more features please login or register!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Forum Stats

Latest Member

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

August 16, 2018, 01:31:39 AM

Author Topic: Discord vs TeamSpeak  (Read 492 times)

Offline PureEvil (OP)

Discord vs TeamSpeak
« on: May 25, 2018, 08:44:55 AM »
I have been giving some thought to removing the TeamSpeak server and replacing it with Discord.

- TeamSpeak runs on our server and uses up system resources, where Discord would not.
 - Discord is much newer and updated more frequently.
 - Discord has a better web app for chatting.

I'm open to thoughts on this.....

Offline JohnDeere1952

• Global Moderator
  • ScreaminEagle
  • Search the Book of the Lord . . . —Isaiah 34:16 (
Re: Discord vs TeamSpeak
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 11:20:21 AM »
I have been giving some thought to removing the TeamSpeak server and replacing it with Discord.

- TeamSpeak runs on our server and uses up system resources, where Discord would not.
 - Discord is much newer and updated more frequently.
 - Discord has a better web app for chatting.

I'm open to thoughts on this.....
Discord seems to be a good alternative to teamspeak. I am on  3 discord servers at the time and it is a great way to communicate .

Edit:
  If going to a discord server I would hope that AEM tries to maintain the family atmosphere with maybe  one more relaxed channel. My experience you may find some discord users  who are not as conservative with the language they use at times.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:33:45 AM by JohnDeere1952 »

Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Psalm 27:14

Offline PureEvil (OP)

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 11:33:47 AM »
well I setup a basic server already and if you click the chat tab up top I have a web app up for testing

Offline alfalfa6945

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 11:50:34 AM »
You know how your grandparents sometimes like using a computer so they can kind of keep up with the changing times and show everyone that they're "computer literate"? And then you look at the programs they use and kind of laugh a bit to yourself thinking "lame" but the words that come out of your mouth say "Oh ya, that program works for what you need it for". And you know they use those programs because they need something that "appears" to be simple, "appears" to have a lot of features and kinda/sorta makes them look like they're up to speed with the whole internet thing. And you think to yourself, "well, they're kind of old and didn't grow up with all this technology like we did, so I guess they really don't know what a good UI is so they don't know they're using a program with a terrible UI"

That's discord in a nutshell. A UI so bad I refuse to use it at all. If y'all love the UI you're probably not alone, your grandparents likely love it too.

To break down PureEvil's list:

The very fact that you can host your own server using teamspeak makes that program have more value. As far as using system resources goes, and we're being honest about it, then yes, teamspeak server uses system resources. And if we're still being honest about it, then the amount of resources teamspeak server uses on the americaneaglesmodding server would be pretty small, to the point of hardly being noticed even at peak usage.
  There's always this nagging at the back of ones mind... When using your own server, your voice/text runs through your own system, but using discord it runs through their central system. Kinda facebook-like. I don't generally read through a TOS or EULA, they're all pretty much the same carbon copy of one another (ie, end user owns nothing, parent company can do as they wish and are not responsible, user can have privileges revoked for any reason with no recourse, etc). I always remember the simple saying "Nothing is free". Because it's true.

Whether or not discord is "newer" or has more frequent "updates" is somewhat of a moot point. When you look at the "updates" they're usually pretty Mickey Mouse. "New" and "frequent updates" ~= "better"

Discord's web app... Meh, whatever. If I'm at my desk/laptop, I would usually have the actual app for the service and always opt for that instead. If I'm only with my phone, I'd still only use the app for the service. So discord has a "web app". I kinda say "So what". Might be useful for third party api use, I guess.

That all said, I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't use voice chat programs all that often. Discord has a horrible user interface, and for me that's a fact. But I've been in IT for too many years, have seen too many things. When it comes to interfaces for these kinds of programs, I'm used to the more traditional ways to do it; IRC, messenger services, etc. Which is why teamspeak's interface makes sense to me. For everyone else, there's discords ugly interface.
  But that's the way the world is moving/shifting, therefore that's the way a siteop should go. Sometimes you have to do things that are not always "better", you do things that follow the clients/userbase. Teamspeak is much better from an IT point of view, doesn't make it the right choice for the userbase that has shifted to something else.

Offline MikeLowery

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 12:03:33 PM »
You know how your grandparents sometimes like using a computer so they can kind of keep up with the changing times and show everyone that they're "computer literate"? And then you look at the programs they use and kind of laugh a bit to yourself thinking "lame" but the words that come out of your mouth say "Oh ya, that program works for what you need it for". And you know they use those programs because they need something that "appears" to be simple, "appears" to have a lot of features and kinda/sorta makes them look like they're up to speed with the whole internet thing. And you think to yourself, "well, they're kind of old and didn't grow up with all this technology like we did, so I guess they really don't know what a good UI is so they don't know they're using a program with a terrible UI"

That's discord in a nutshell. A UI so bad I refuse to use it at all. If y'all love the UI you're probably not alone, your grandparents likely love it too.

To break down PureEvil's list:

The very fact that you can host your own server using teamspeak makes that program have more value. As far as using system resources goes, and we're being honest about it, then yes, teamspeak server uses system resources. And if we're still being honest about it, then the amount of resources teamspeak server uses on the americaneaglesmodding server would be pretty small, to the point of hardly being noticed even at peak usage.
  There's always this nagging at the back of ones mind... When using your own server, your voice/text runs through your own system, but using discord it runs through their central system. Kinda facebook-like. I don't generally read through a TOS or EULA, they're all pretty much the same carbon copy of one another (ie, end user owns nothing, parent company can do as they wish and are not responsible, user can have privileges revoked for any reason with no recourse, etc). I always remember the simple saying "Nothing is free". Because it's true.

Whether or not discord is "newer" or has more frequent "updates" is somewhat of a moot point. When you look at the "updates" they're usually pretty Mickey Mouse. "New" and "frequent updates" ~= "better"

Discord's web app... Meh, whatever. If I'm at my desk/laptop, I would usually have the actual app for the service and always opt for that instead. If I'm only with my phone, I'd still only use the app for the service. So discord has a "web app". I kinda say "So what". Might be useful for third party api use, I guess.

That all said, I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't use voice chat programs all that often. Discord has a horrible user interface, and for me that's a fact. But I've been in IT for too many years, have seen too many things. When it comes to interfaces for these kinds of programs, I'm used to the more traditional ways to do it; IRC, messenger services, etc. Which is why teamspeak's interface makes sense to me. For everyone else, there's discords ugly interface.
  But that's the way the world is moving/shifting, therefore that's the way a siteop should go. Sometimes you have to do things that are not always "better", you do things that follow the clients/userbase. Teamspeak is much better from an IT point of view, doesn't make it the right choice for the userbase that has shifted to something else.

i agree with you on this one. i rather use teamspeak... i can do more with it than discord..

Offline PureEvil (OP)

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 03:44:48 PM »
Actually Teamspeak is the most demanding thing on the server which is why i kinda want it gone.

This is the "top" command in linux which shows which services a running in order of resources used.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:47:24 PM by PureEvil »

Offline alfalfa6945

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 06:24:18 PM »
"top" sort of works like that. Much like "ps" sort of works like what you're describing (hence the numbers will likely be the same as "top"). We wouldn't take the numbers spit out from top/ps for things like virt/vsz or res/rss seriously. Normally, to get a more accurate picture we'd use something like pmap -d <PID of the ts server>. But even then, knowing how to read the numbers, and maybe more importantly understanding what the output is actually telling you, is the key.

That said, and looking at the output for %cpu and %mem, I'm not actually seeing an issue with ts being "demanding". None of us are privy (of course) to the setup you have and how it's set up, so it's only speculation that maybe you see a spike when there are a bunch of users, well, using the ts server? And of course depending on the size of the spike (ts fluctuates on cpu/mem usage) and duration, we still couldn't argue much as nobody reading this would know the setup save for yourself.