American Eagles Modding Forums

Hi! You are currently viewing forum as a guest. For more features please login or register!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Forum Stats

Latest Member

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

January 29, 2023, 03:32:06 AM

Author Topic: Modding Teamspeak Chat w/ GIANTS Software!  (Read 7196 times)

Offline JohnDeere1952 (OP)

• Administrator
  • ScreaminEagle
  • Search the Book of the Lord . . . Isaiah 34:16 (
Modding Teamspeak Chat w/ GIANTS Software!
« on: April 26, 2016, 10:09:10 AM »
Quote from Russ on FS-Uk
 Calling all mod makers!

We've teamed up with GIANTS Software to bring the very first Modding Teamspeak Chat in English! This is the perfect opportunity for mod makers to put their questions about modding Farming Simulator directly to the developers of the game and openly discuss just about anything to do with modding!

The format has been running in German for quite some time now and has been very successful, so now GIANTS are inviting all English speaking mod makers to take part in an exclusively English-language chat. This is great news!

The chat will be held on Monday 9th May at 7pm BST

Christian Ammann aka int from GIANTS Software will host the call on their Teamspeak server. You must  visit the link below and reply to that topic with "I want to take part" to reserve your slot:

After that, you will receive the login details via Private Message on the official forum before the chat starts.

Feel free to post some initial questions or discussion points to get us started and break the ice. Please remember that the call is supposed to help modders get the most out of their mods and its not meant to be a Get news about FS 17 development call. You can ask questions but please keep them modding related.

It will help if you have a good microphone, and make sure you test it before the call starts! We're very excited to hear what you have to say, and can't wait for the modding community and the game's developers to discuss all the important issues you might have!

Regards,
Russ
 I hope some of you modders who are interested will try to take part in this. You can find the link to gt enrolled on FS-UK at this link.
http://fs-uk.com/forum/index.php?topic=182117.msg1213438#new

Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Psalm 27:14

Offline braindead4554

• 500+
Re: Modding Teamspeak Chat w/ GIANTS Software!
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 10:11:35 AM »
Thanks for the link!  I will try to check it out.  Another reason to get my headphones working again lol. 
]

"The eyes can't see what the mind won't accept."

• Administrator
  • ScreaminEagle
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 10:18:13 AM »
Thanks for the link!  I will try to check it out.  Another reason to get my headphones working again lol.
I imagine there will be a large group participating.

• Administrator
  • ScreaminEagle
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 11:46:46 AM »
 Maybe if a person can talk to Giants in this teamspeak session , they could find out if there is a way to make rotator.onCreate and other scripts work in a map manually. Also I think it would be nice to ask if there will be any drastic changes in scripting this time around or if conversions will be easier.

Offline 812farmer

• 500+
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 01:15:04 PM »
Maybe if a person can talk to Giants in this teamspeak session , they could find out if there is a way to make rotator.onCreate and other scripts work in a map manually. Also I think it would be nice to ask if there will be any drastic changes in scripting this time around or if conversions will be easier.
I really need a mic. Does Xbox mic work.  Would be nice for conversions to be easier but since I have a lot in blender now it might be easier.

• Administrator
  • ScreaminEagle
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 11:51:56 AM »
 Just a reminder that at 2:00 PM today Eastern time is the team-speak chat with Giants software answering modding questions.
 If you reserved a slot you need to check your email for log i information.

Offline MikeLowery

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 03:04:00 PM »
If you did not join this channel you missed out on alot of information. They help with any issue you may have with 15 or 13. If they couldn't they noted for 17. I think this was a good idea by them to bring in modder and scripters. They was all there and they had a lot of question and a lot of  the questions was answered and then some... Very great meeting..

Offline akuenzi

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 03:16:34 PM »
If you did not join this channel you missed out on alot of information. They help with any issue you may have with 15 or 13. If they couldn't they noted for 17. I think this was a good idea by them to bring in modder and scripters. They was all there and they had a lot of question and a lot of  the questions was answered and then some... Very great meeting..
Good to know, and thanks for the report.  For those of us not able to participate, is there any way to get a summary of what was said or gone over?  It's my understanding it wasn't recorded, and I wouldn't expect anyone to rehash it entirely (unless they are willing -- I'd be all ears :))... but it would be nice to know what topics were covered or what useful tidbits were picked up.  Just wish I could have been part of it, but it unfortunately fell right in the middle of my working day. :P

• Administrator
  • ScreaminEagle
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 06:43:40 PM »
There were many aspects of modding both present and things to be possible into the future of modding and some insight as to what and how long it can and does take behind the scenes.
 Also here is a quote from bassadict  (on FS-UK)about the team speak meeting There's always a synopsis posted a few work days after each session. You'll find it at least in the official forum, but I guess I can post it here, too. After all, it's just copy&paste.. Referring to post the synopsis on FS-UK. I'll watch on  Giants forum and post here also.
 You can find more about the session on FS-UK's topic
 http://fs-uk.com/forum/index.php?topic=182117.msg1215589#new
 Let's hope we can get more input in the future here also.  Maybe a list of questions that can be submitted to Giants in advance of the next meeting assuming their will be another.

• Administrator
  • ScreaminEagle
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 08:25:07 AM »
  Here is the transcript of what was discussed in the Teamspeak with Giants on Monday the 9th. Posted by bassaddict on  the Giants forum.
bassaddict - transcript from the session:

General information:
-Video tutorials and "Modding for dummies" PDF available for free on GDN (GIANTS Developer Network, https://gdn.giants-software.com/ )
-Lots of optimizations has been made when creating the console version
-Traffic vehicles moved from script to engine in FS15, CPU time per frame went down from about 15ms to 0.3ms (factor 50)
-Game development: huge feature list, impossible to implement everything, from feature planning to implementation and game release takes about 3-4 years
-FarmCon in German like a testrun, if it's a success, could be possible to do one in english eventually

modding general:
-Testing mods in MP should always be done with at least 3 people to make sure sync from client to host and host to clients work as intended
-One should not rely on the mod loading order, there are several ways and hacks to avoid the dependence on the loading order
-Using dynamicallyLoadedParts saves VRAM, editing easier since there's only one instance to edit
-ObjectMask is used to exclude objects from certain render passes, like reflection, can be left on default for most things
-many foliageMultiLayers with few foliageSubLayers vs vice versa: just a different structure, shouldn't affect performance
-Dedicated Server interface uses heuristics to show warnings, shows what could be a problem, not what a problem is, too much vs too little information
-Better script documentation planned for FS17, should be released way sooner than for FS15
-Only register fruitType for cuttable/harvestable crops, otherwise only register fillType
-Sound recording and ingame setup depends on personal preferences
-FillVolumes system is very complex, the shape should be simple, flat top and bottom plane, no vertices within those planes
-Setting proper clipDistances very important to achieve a good performance on a map
-LOD (Level Of Detail) can improve the performance even more, but not necessary for mod maps, basically consist of high res model for close distance and low res model for far distance
-proper saving of mod settings: create a folder like "mods_config" on the same level as the mods folder and store the settings in an XML file, don't save non-savegame specific stuff in mods folder
-Metalness textures like in Unreal Engine 4, using Physically Based Rendering
-UE4 is a game engine for many games, should support more generic features
-GIANTS Engine only for FS, need only support for FS specific features
-Similar approach in FS, but has only half the memory usage
-Blender Animation currently not supported by the i3d exporter
-someone with programming knowledge could implement it, since Blender and the exporter are both open source

feature wishes (just wishes, nothing confirmed):
-Dedicated server heuristic available for SP to locate possible problems easier
-Fertilizing grass fields with manure or slurry
-Dynamic ground like in Spintires
-Crops following the actual sowing direction
-Road creation tool in GE to create roads and align them to the terrain easily
-Smaller vehicles with less than 100hp and suitable tools
-Fast field status scanning (Field Status mod)
-Proper PTO power usage depending on working tool troughput
-Flexible hoses for slurry tankers
-Tip anywhere
-More placeable objects in the base game
-Pivot axles

Offline tmzdesign

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 10:33:59 AM »
There were many aspects of modding both present and things to be possible into the future of modding and some insight as to what and how long it can and does take behind the scenes.
 Also here is a quote from bassadict  (on FS-UK)about the team speak meeting There's always a synopsis posted a few work days after each session. You'll find it at least in the official forum, but I guess I can post it here, too. After all, it's just copy&paste.. Referring to post the synopsis on FS-UK. I'll watch on  Giants forum and post here also.
 You can find more about the session on FS-UK's topic
 http://fs-uk.com/forum/index.php?topic=182117.msg1215589#new
 Let's hope we can get more input in the future here also.  Maybe a list of questions that can be submitted to Giants in advance of the next meeting assuming their will be another.

i would ask if they would consider adding this in future versions as a way to cut down on all the drama about steeling mods. require a farming simulator account that you need to login to in order to use giants editor. then when you import anything into giants editor it stamps your account name on it and displays that name in credits list in the ingame store. this account would also be used for multiplayer to clear up issues there