American Eagles Modding Forums

Hi! You are currently viewing forum as a guest. For more features please login or register!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Forum Stats

Latest Member

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

January 29, 2023, 04:29:14 AM

Author Topic: editor keeps crashing  (Read 8232 times)

Offline alec717450 (OP)

editor keeps crashing
« on: December 11, 2014, 06:06:25 PM »
every time i go to open a map in editor, even default maps editor freezes up and the not responding window comes up. Mod maps dont even begin to load but the defaults show up then immediately  freeze and stop working. im runnng a fairly decent computer and never had any problems working with large fs13 maps. but cant seem to do any work with fs15, any ideas?

Offline hocks23

Re: editor keeps crashing
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
make sure u have the latest version of GE 6.0.3 and remove all old versions, it worked for me

Offline alec717450 (OP)

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 09:20:47 PM »
everything's up to date just went through and cleaned everything out still wont open maps. i can open vehicles and tools just fine, any other idea?

Offline oliver1650steve

• so much to do....so little time to do it.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 09:19:39 AM »
everything's up to date just went through and cleaned everything out still wont open maps. i can open vehicles and tools just fine, any other idea?
I have the same problem???.......what graphics do u have in ur comp......intel??

Offline bobjones23

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 11:10:16 AM »
Try letting it load for a while mine say it's stopped responding for bigger files like maps then it pops up and works

Offline oliver1650steve

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 04:38:51 PM »
iv let mine sit for an hour.......no luck..... (n)

Offline bobjones23

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 05:10:50 PM »
Huh that leaves me stumped then

Offline oliver1650steve

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 05:26:20 PM »
Huh that leaves me stumped then
yupp me to ...only thing I found out was new editor only supports invidia grafix cards.....I have intel......that's what giants said.

JimmytheGeek

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 09:28:21 AM »
Unless you have a dedicated Nvidia or Radeon graphics card that meets the minimum system requirements as laid out by Giants, you won't be able to do any sort of editing in GE, because Intel's graphics cards do not have the horsepower. It's like drag racing Toyota Yaris against a C7 Vette. No competition.

Offline oliver1650steve

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 02:43:30 PM »
Unless you have a dedicated Nvidia or Radeon graphics card that meets the minimum system requirements as laid out by Giants, you won't be able to do any sort of editing in GE, because Intel's graphics cards do not have the horsepower. It's like drag racing Toyota Yaris against a C7 Vette. No competition.
I can edit and work on mods great...and evin work on a blank map great.....but will not handle any type of foliage.

JimmytheGeek

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 03:09:12 PM »
Exactly. Mods are relatively small in size and detail. Blank maps don't have any detail to worry about until you add it, and foliage is some of the most highly-detailed stuff you add to maps. That is what eats up the processing power of the graphics chipset, and precisely why Intel is not used by any graphics designers.

Offline alec717450 (OP)

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 08:37:59 AM »
Yup, after going back and fourth with giants they pretty much said the same thing. graphics card just cant handle all the size of these maps.

Offline duffstone

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 10:51:16 AM »
couple of addtions:

1)  The terrain layer appears to crash the editor for some reason.  Once you get your object saved (I'm guessing creating a cache) it works ok after.
2)  if you're sculpting terrain you need to save often, it can only handle so much movement in the terrain editor before a "Save" will crash it.   I edited my whole map, hit save, and it crashed.  then I edited part of an outside edge, and it saved fine (30seconds).  edited the whole outside edge, crash.  on a 4x map I can only sculpt about 1/4 of one outside edge without it crashing on save. 
3)  painting foliage and terrain textues are better, but there's still an upper limit before it will crash your editor.  so save often.
4)  Trees.   I gave up on it.  I have yet to find how many trees, outside of one or two at a time, that you can ADD (copy paste) before the editor crashed on save.  it's silly.   

FWIW,  I've wasted better than 8hrs of work on this map by having the editor crash on save.   this issue didn't exist in the 6.0.2 version.   here's hopeing the next version works better...

-Duff