American Eagles Modding Forums

Hi! You are currently viewing forum as a guest. For more features please login or register!

Member Login

Lost your password?

Forum Stats

Latest Member

Not a member yet? Sign Up!

January 29, 2023, 02:51:08 AM

Author Topic: darker nights  (Read 2100 times)

Offline MikeLowery (OP)

darker nights
« on: May 06, 2020, 08:37:30 PM »
Fellas i need help with making the nights darker. Right now its seem like an old western movie at night.. you really don't need tractor likes because it so bright. how to fix this. Thanks in advance.

mike

Offline akuenzi

Re: darker nights
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 03:10:19 AM »
Fellas i need help with making the nights darker. Right now its seem like an old western movie at night.. you really don't need tractor likes because it so bright. how to fix this. Thanks in advance.

mike
Mike,

I'm not that familiar with FS '19, but here's something I tried.  If you open the map's environment.xml file, there should be a section that looks something like this.  The file might be named slightly different, but will probably have 'environment' in the title:
Code: [Select]
    <primaryExtraterrestrialColor> <!-- Sun/Moon Glow -->
        <key values="0.04 0.04 0.04" time="0*60" />
        <key values="0.0 0.0 0.0" time="6.5*60" />
        <key values="1.0 1.0 1.0"    time="6.5*60" />  <!-- sunrise switch -->
        <key values="1.0 1.0 1.0"    time="19.5*60" /> <!-- sunset switch -->
        <key values="0.0 0.0 0.0"    time="19.5*60" />
        <key values="0.04 0.04 0.04" time="24*60" />
    </primaryExtraterrestrialColor>
It's my understanding that the above constitutes a 'curve' that the game is running in the background environment.  I think a shader is used to change the values over time, to gradually change the color values between each noted time stamp.  For example, at midnight each day (or 0*60), the color will have an R-G-B (Red-Green-Blue) value of 0.04-0.04-0.04.  These are tiny amounts of each color, so not much light will show up in-game, which one would expect at that time of night.  Over the next 6.5 hours, these colors will diminish even more, until they are all flat-lined at 0 at 6:30am (or 6.5*60).  And then the colors (or light) are 'turned on' and each have a value of 1.0.  I'm guessing somehow this works with other curves in the environment file (such as sun light, position of the light in the sky, etc.), so this isn't going to be the only thing that impacts what you see.  Then the process goes in reverse heading into the evening.

I did a small experiment using ccs101's Nebraska Land's map (which is where I got the xml text above).  This map already seems to have very dark nights.  At left is a picture of how it appears in-game around 8-something in the evening with the normal map settings (shown above).  On the right is a picture around the same time, with the values tweaked on the second to bottom 'key values.'  I changed it from "0.0 0.0 0.0" to "5.0 5.0 5.0".  It added a ton more color and light:

I'm probably not the one who should say anything on this, as I don't know beans about modding FS '19.  But this is similar to how things behaved with these kinds of curves back in FS '17.  If you wish to darken things up for your map, you might check to see what R-G-B values are being used in it, and try to move them down during the nighttime hours so as to dim the lights.

You probably already knew this, but if you want to test this on the fly in-game, you can do so with a console command if developer mode is enabled.  If you make and save a change to this xml file while the game is running, in the game console, just type this entry and it'll reload the xml file to show you the effect in-game:  gsReloadEnvironment.  I think there are other console commands to move the time automatically to night time if it's not there yet too.  :)

The following users thanked this post: MikeLowery