Forum > Google Sketchup

Google Sketchup

(1/4) > >>

Cody14:
Im new to the modding world. How would I go about saving a model on google sketchup  and getting it into FS13. Is there another step after google sketchup. I would appreciate the help if anybody could help me out. Thanks

kramarj:
I can't give you any advice on Sketchup, but as far as after you are done modeling, you export as .dae, or I believe you can also export as .obj. Either way, once you export it, you have to import it to a modeling program, such as Blender, Maya, 3DS Max. Blender is free to anybody, the others you have to be a student, or pay for it. Once you import your model into the modeling program, then you export it as an I3D file. Then import your I3D file to Giants Editor. Once that is done, get your scripting done, and you are ready to ingame it.

If you use Blender, you need Blender V2.62 and you will also need the Giants Exporter Plug In.

Simple right? lol. It really isn't that bad, just takes time to learn it all.

Btw, there are a ton of tutorials out there on this stuff, so if you get stuck, you can do a google search, you should be able to find almost all your answers.

seriousmods:
First thing I'd like to say is don't.

The Sketchup Warehouse is a very deceptive source of 3d models. While many of the models appear to be high quality on the site and even in Sketchup itself, the way the program textures its models combined with the fact that Sketchup is the best way to produce a poly bomb that doesn't even look as good as a lower-poly 3d model is a great reason to avoid Sketchup at all costs.

My first two modding projects, which both ended in failure, started as Sketchup models, and by the time I was done fixing the models in Blender, I had little left in the tank to actually get them in game.

I'd recommend starting with Blender 2.62 and working on a simple project first. Once you learn the basics, you'll be able to make much more complex models and mods.

Cody14:
So should I start out on blender or do you guys recommend something else

tessfarms:

--- Quote from: Cody14 on February 01, 2014, 02:51:25 PM ---So should I start out on blender or do you guys recommend something else

--- End quote ---
Blender is a very good modeling program, and will do almost anything that those programs that cost thousands of dollars will do.  With that being said, I would highly suggest you download blender 2.62 and watch some tutorials, and start out small.  Make a simple project, just to get familiar with the basic controls.  Than as your confidence grows and your modeling skills grow, you can start making better things. 
The only way you will learn is to dive in and try it.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version